PDA

View Full Version : Window tint

89HatchbackLxi
08-01-2011, 07:33 PM
I'm looking to tint my 89 Hatch's windows. I found these two pre-cut sets on ebay but I'm unsure of if this is a good brand, and if it is, what the benefit of the more expensive DUO series is when compared to the non DUO series type.

Ultimacool DUO Series
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ACCORD-3DR-HATCHBACK-86-89-PRECUT-WINDOW-TINT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aHondaQ7cModelQ3aAcc ordQQhashZitem20b8087b83QQitemZ140526517123QQptZMo torsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Ultimacool Series
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ACCORD-3DR-HATCHBACK-86-89-PRECUT-WINDOW-TINT-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZMakeQ3aHondaQ7cModelQ3aAcc ordQ7cYearQ3a1989QQhashZitem20b8087b42QQitemZ14052 6517058QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Also, I live in California and my hatch is currently out of A/C refrigerant, but I probably won't get around to recharging or retrofitting it until next year or so, in the meantime I want to tint my windows. What's the darkest I can go without being a total target for cops? I know 70% is the most you can get on the front side windows legally, but I was thinking 50% (maybe 35%) on the front sides and then 20% on the rear and rear side windows. Any advice on what tint percentage to get? I don't like the way the hatch looks without any tint...

RAZR
08-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Unless your a professional window tint installer i wouldnt tint your car. i would get it done by the professionals

89HatchbackLxi
08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Unless your a professional window tint installer i wouldnt tint your car. i would get it done by the professionals

The cheapest quality professionals in my area charge about $195... I would much rather have someone else do it, but I don't have that much money to spend on something like window tinting at the moment.

itzdave
08-01-2011, 08:05 PM
id save for a pro job. i just had mine done and payed the extra $$ for it, but its worth it...

89HatchbackLxi
08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
id save for a pro job. i just had mine done and payed the extra $$ for it, but its worth it...

Alright perhaps I'll just wait a bit till I can get them professionally tinted then... What tint % are your windows dave? They look pretty dark...

ghettogeddy
08-02-2011, 09:42 PM
its 5% or 20%

mines 20% ive had 5 % before but it was just a little to dark

itzdave
08-02-2011, 09:54 PM
i have 20% on all windows, the rear is very dark because of the louvers...

DBMaster
08-03-2011, 07:48 AM

Same here. Also, the professionals know how dark you can legally go. I don't know the current state of affairs in Texas, but when I was in college the cops had light meters in their cars. If they pulled you over suspecting your tint was too dark and their testing found that it was they would make you scrape it off on the spot.

You have to remember that there is a small tint on the glass from the factory so if you go with the maximum legal add-on tint you will exceed the limit.

obdriver6
08-05-2011, 12:18 AM
I would suggest 20%, 5% and lower is just too dark. I would also not recommend tinting your car if you haven't done it before. I finally tinted my car this year with the help of my dad. I removed all of the side glass and he tinted them but the back window and front strip was another thing, we actually had to pay someone to do it. It was a good thing because this year my A/C decided to take a break.

charliekuney
08-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Think about this: If you have someone do it for cheap, and they fuck up, you'd have to pay even more to get it fixed before someone does it professionally. Just wait and pay out; you won't regret it.

You have to remember that there is a small tint on the glass from the factory...
?

itzdave
08-05-2011, 08:27 PM
he's right. on some cars it can ad up to 5-10% on to whatever tint u are getting. its the way the glass is made, its not a tint 'sticker' like normal tint...

89HatchbackLxi
08-05-2011, 08:52 PM
he's right. on some cars it can ad up to 5-10% on to whatever tint u are getting. its the way the glass is made, its not a tint 'sticker' like normal tint...

Yeah, I'll just wait it out. Might as well just get it done right the first time and not spend a lot, besides, I got louvers to put on my hatch a few days ago, and that should help keep some of the heat out as well until I can get the tinted windows.

This is a bit off topic, but I gotta ask, do any of you know where I could find a set of metal clips for the bottom of the louvers to attach to? I can't keep my louvers on until I get another clip for it... the louvers I got only came with one clip, and I can't find the clips on ebay, craigslist, magauto or any of the other auto parts sites... Is it possible a Honda dealership would have these? It's hard enough to find louvers, I have NO idea where I can find a spare clip for one...

itzdave
08-05-2011, 08:58 PM
id search junk yards... gunna be nearly impossible to find.

ghettogeddy
08-05-2011, 09:48 PM
you can try contacting these guys to see if the hardware is the same http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/AST1181.htm

elpuma
08-05-2011, 10:40 PM
When i tint my windows i just take them off the car and do it inside the house, including the hatch window. I also have a heat gun that i use to make the tint form to the shape of a window.

89HatchbackLxi
08-06-2011, 09:02 AM
id search junk yards... gunna be nearly impossible to find.

I'm thinking I might just try to use the clips I have that are for an earlier accord... just going to have to bend the metal so it matches the window's slight curve. the metal pins on these ones line up to the exact spot the other clips lines up at, so hopefully I can just use those...

89HatchbackLxi
08-06-2011, 09:03 AM
When i tint my windows i just take them off the car and do it inside the house, including the hatch window. I also have a heat gun that i use to make the tint form to the shape of a window.

Did the tint turn out nice?

DBMaster
08-06-2011, 10:50 AM
The original "lifetime" tint from 1991 starting getting blurry around the time it was 15 years old. It also delaminated. Lifetime tint used to be a dual layer product. The only way it could be removed was by scraping which also resulted in no more rear window defroster. Good thing I don't need it, but if I ever do it's going to cost me a new back window. The new stuff is different. Not as dark, but just as good or better at keeping the car cooler. Blocking the UV is the best part because it keeps the interior in better shape.

I should have said I waited until the tint was at 18 years before having it replaced. I should have done it sooner. It didn't turn purple or bubble, but it was getting ugly just the same.

frantik
08-06-2011, 11:28 AM
i would avoid getting precut tint.. it's probably low quality film and chances are you're not experienced with applying it

get it done by a pro unless you want it to look like this

http://www.dorsetcarwindowtinting.co.uk/images/bubbles.jpg

danny nr crew
08-09-2011, 08:09 AM
i did my own tint as well. it didnt turn out as bad as i thought it would but i have had some practice before so that kinda helped but like dave said have a pro do it since you have never done it before and it looks sexy as hell when they finish it. but if you ever find some louvers dont tint your hatch glass its pretty hard to see out of it sometimes. but thats my opinion. and anyways if you got louvers youll never need tint in the rear anymore.

2oodoor
08-09-2011, 09:58 AM
buying pre cut tint is an exercise in futility, think about it...

The hard part is getting it to lay out without trapped air or debris. Ive done it practically every way mentioned here, even spray on.
Taking the windows out requires a good bit of skill alone, but I have done it that way successfully.
Of course nothing works as well as having my tint guy do it , who gives me a great deal!

If you want to do it yourself, try buying a roll and start practicing.
It is handy to have a home (old school) sliding glass door to hang it on to cut/trim it...before you peel it.
The glass has to be clean and lint free as if you were painting it.
A little liquid form windex (brand) diluted something like 50 to 1, appx 4 tsp per qt of water lol, to lube it.

89HatchbackLxi
08-09-2011, 12:32 PM
i did my own tint as well. it didnt turn out as bad as i thought it would but i have had some practice before so that kinda helped but like dave said have a pro do it since you have never done it before and it looks sexy as hell when they finish it. but if you ever find some louvers dont tint your hatch glass its pretty hard to see out of it sometimes. but thats my opinion. and anyways if you got louvers youll never need tint in the rear anymore.
I actually JUST put on some OEM accord louvers, and they definitely help keep a good portion the heat out. Plus, I would think that not having to tint the hatch window should cut down the cost to get my windows tinted, right?

buying pre cut tint is an exercise in futility, think about it...

The hard part is getting it to lay out without trapped air or debris. Ive done it practically every way mentioned here, even spray on.
Taking the windows out requires a good bit of skill alone, but I have done it that way successfully.
Of course nothing works as well as having my tint guy do it , who gives me a great deal!

If you want to do it yourself, try buying a roll and start practicing.
It is handy to have a home (old school) sliding glass door to hang it on to cut/trim it...before you peel it.
The glass has to be clean and lint free as if you were painting it.
A little liquid form windex (brand) diluted something like 50 to 1, appx 4 tsp per qt of water lol, to lube it.

I never thought of that. That might actually be pretty helpful to practice with before attempting to actually put on the tint. If the cost of tinting without the hatch window is still too expensive, I'll have to try this. Thanks!

danny nr crew
08-12-2011, 05:11 AM
yeah the louvers help out so much and they look amazing but yes if your gonna do your own tint just go to walmart go buy some 20% black magic tint, some windex, a cutting knife , and a squegy. after you get that start with the rear quarter windows and see how it turns out for you. also wait a couple hours till you put the windows back if you do remove them.