PDA

View Full Version : About that impossible to remove PCV valve on the carb models...

moshbrandonmosh
08-02-2011, 11:27 AM
So, I've been having a crazy rough idle issue, and I did the typical check to see if the PCV valve was functioning correctly by squeezing on the PCV hose above the intake manifold. When I did, the idle surged and sounded normal! If the valve was bad, wouldn't the opposite happen? I'm going to replace the valve anyway, but I was just kinda confused!

2oodoor
08-03-2011, 03:43 AM
What Ive found on these is the plastic housing the valvei fits in becomes brittle and breaks.
It kind of snaps into the little hose youre talking bout but its under the intake.
I access it from the tramsmission side, reaching under the intake manifolt.
What I always do is remove the whole housing and the large hose that attachs it to the oil separator. If the actual plastic is still able to hole the valve but the rest is crumbling, I try to salvage that part enough to get a hose to clamp on it for a sealed connection.
To make this easier I use a heater by pass hose off a 70 - 80 's Mopar 318 v8, it is the right diameter to go and is more flexable that the oem.
Sometimes I just replace the short hose on top all togeher as well to make it easier to deal with.

moshbrandonmosh
08-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Well, I changed it. Wasn't as painful as everyone was saying (when it comes to pulling it out) and low and behold, you could see right through it, so it was as if there was no valve there in the first place, hence the rough idle!