PDA

View Full Version : Opinions about the Timing Belt Cover

DBMaster
08-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Timing belt cover: essential or not?

I have seen a number of engines on this forum with the TB cover deleted. I am thinking it "might" tend to decrease the life of the belt, but I don't know. My thoughts are that it might be nice to have easier access to certain components and to be able to easily see the belt, oil pump, crank and cam, seals, etc.

I ask those of you who are running without the cover if you have seen any increased deterioration of the belt.

I also ask Snooz and Lost to chime in and give their usual well-considered opinions.

A big advantage I can think of right off the top of my head is that you could change the belt without having to pull the crank pulley.

Food for thought, fellow Honda enthusiasts.

Mike

Dr_Snooz
08-02-2011, 08:20 PM
That's a really stupid idea! :slap::facepalm::rocket::gun::hmph::nuts:

Oh wait. You asked for a "well-considered" opinion...

I've seen the top covers removed to allow access to an adjustable timing gear, but not the lower covers. I don't think running without the top cover will hurt anything. I would be less excited about running without the lower cover. More dirt will get into things like the tensioner bearing and road debris might cut at the timing belt. Debris could wedge itself between the belt and gears causing belt failure. Of course, all that could be said about the alternator too. Honestly, I don't know. It seems to be a hotly debated subject on other forums with some people experiencing catastrophic belt failures (and subsequent head rebuilds) and others having no problems despite years of driving without them. Two thoughts based on my reading: the belt is going to be exposed to a lot more drips and dirt generally, shortening its life. More compellingly, someone reported throwing an AC belt which got caught in the timing belt, bent all his valves, destroyed the head AND the pistons. We don't have interference engines, but it's still worth considering. Mind you, these guys are talking about running without the UPPER timing cover, not the lower.

From the original post at DSM Tuners (http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/newbie-forum/332241-dumb-timing-cover-question.html):
"I used to run no timing cover because there just a bitch to get back on. plus it easyer to work around. But this one day after it had been apart for say a year, i got going was siked about i man, nothing getting in that car after a while and running the dog $hit out of it. Untill i hit this bump and belive it or not, at all of 7000rpm my a/c belt poped off because my dumb A$$ forgot to tighten the tentioner pully, so that means it stays alittle cocked .so the belt Went right up in to the intake cam stopped it for a second (about 180 out) and dropped the belt back on. It was the crasyest sound ive ever herd. all intake valves broke off and jamed side ways into the head also busting numerious holes in the pistons. So take that bit of info and make a wise descion"

I'll keep mine on. Upper and lower.

MessyHonda
08-09-2011, 06:11 PM
its not that hard to take off the top end cover. i had a cut cover and it does get dirty inside.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v650/Messybone/LX-i/DSCF2203Small.jpg

AccordB20A
08-09-2011, 07:27 PM
had the upper cover off and my power steer bottle lid somehow popped off and went down in the lower cam cover and engine lost power (B20A) and eventually stopped, the lid got jammed in the belt and it skipped a heap of teeth and nearly cut the belt in half. i re-set the timing on the side of the road to get home and then put on another 2nd hand belt.

87roach
08-09-2011, 09:06 PM
had the upper cover off and my power steer bottle lid somehow popped off and went down in the lower cam cover and engine lost power (B20A) and eventually stopped, the lid got jammed in the belt and it skipped a heap of teeth and nearly cut the belt in half. i re-set the timing on the side of the road to get home and then put on another 2nd hand belt.

I think the point you're trying to make is that having the cover off wasn't a good idea.

I agree with snooze, it's pretty stupid. Also.. considering that you have to change the belt every 100,000km + what would be the point of having it off for "easy access"? seriously!

DBMaster
08-10-2011, 07:55 AM
Wow! No wishy-washy answers. I like it. I am close to doing my belt again so the thought popped into my head to ask the question.

On another topic, that post that Snooz quoted mad me sad for the state of the English language in America.

2oodoor
08-10-2011, 08:19 AM
I was reading post 1 and thinking no big deal, then you said something about not having to remove crank pulley then boing wtf...

I would NOT run it without the lower cover for all the reasons stated, particulary road grime getting on it.

Maybe the cover could be split, without removing any material, then reinstalled so next time it would be easier to remove. It would take special cutting device to cut it without removing material, maybe a tiny band saw.

2drSE-i
08-10-2011, 10:02 AM
It's far too easy to remove to even bother with leaving it off. I think it makes the engine bay look much cleaner on. I just remember a family friend who owned a mustang with no lower timing cover (for whatever reason...) Cost them quite a pretty penny to get repaired.

lostforawhile
08-10-2011, 10:59 AM
the main issue is engine oil leaks, the belt cover has a gasket on it for a reason, it's supposed to keep out dirt and oil, nothing will deteriorate a timing belt faster then oil, of course a cam or crank seal leak could do this too, but why make it worse?

DBMaster
08-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Apparently, I opened up a proverbial can of worms. I actually plan to get a new gasket for the cover next time. When my oil pump was leaking, prior to the last TB change, it made the gasket pretty yucky.