PDA

View Full Version : A20A3 high idle then no start

Lead Foot
08-12-2011, 12:13 PM
This is my first Honda so please bear with me. I am decently mechanicaly inclined although my specialty is building Jeeps. I bought this accord that had been sitting for about 6 months. I needed something for better gas mileage around town. THe car started up and drove great except for a high idle. The radiator has a crack in it and it was low on water so I figured the temp sensor was telling the ecu to engage the choke. I filled it up with water and the idle went down to about 800. Great. The next day the idle was back up and I couldnt do anything to kick it down. Its 100+ degrees over here so The car ended up overheating into the red for a minute or so while sitting idling high so I shut it off. THen it didnt want to start at all. After cranking off and on for 5 minuites it finally started but when I shut it off it wouldnt run again.

So my problems are. High idle and now no/rough start.

Ive tried resetting the ecu. unlugging all the sensors and plugging them back in checking connections. checked all the fuses and found the ecu clock fuse was blown. Replaced it, still nothing.

Lead Foot
08-12-2011, 12:29 PM
Also. Slight fuel smell coming from under the hood after cranking but no fuel line or injector leaks. Is it flooding itself out? It seems to be electrical because itsn not even trying to run now.

2oodoor
08-12-2011, 03:06 PM
cooling system needs to be sealed, there is a bleeder up around the tstat housing so you can bleed the air out so that the fast idle and IACV can work properly, yes it has coolant running thru it and is the highest point in the powerplant so if it is not getting a good reading of the coolant up there then it stays wacky idle.
sounds like you may burnt a HG, hope not...check main relay under dash

Lead Foot
08-12-2011, 04:08 PM
Already checked the bleeder, its getting water to the top of the block. I know the system isnt sealed completely but it is fully burped. HG as in head gasket? Doesnt seem to be water in the oil or vise versa. IS there a way to test the relay besides pulling it out and replacing it? I hear they are a pain to get to. Would the fuel pump still be pumping fuel into the injectors if the main relay was bad? Like I said, I do smell gas under the hood after cranking...

Lead Foot
08-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Alight. Went back out there after it sitting for about 3 hours. Turned the key, bam. Started right up within the first crank and ran great except the high idle. THe car had started this quick and nice a couple times a few days ago but not since. I turned it off and waited a minute. Went to go start it again and had to crank for about 5 seconds before it barely ran but then finally idled and cleared up sitting about 1600 RPMs. turned the idle screw all the way in and got it to idle at 1000 RPMs in park. Im not positive that is the solution to the high idle problem though, now the car feels a little more sluggish off the line.

Lead Foot
08-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I wasnt getting a check engine light but I decided to check for codes anyway. I read 13 blinks. Atmospheric pressure sensor? Anyone know about this sensor?