PDA

View Full Version : Spot check me? (Head removal / '89 LXi)

Doward
08-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Ok, stuck at work (working 3rd shift tonight) and just going over my mental notes. Hoping to yank the head off the Accord tomorrow, so if you guys don't mind - just a quick spot check.

1) Exhaust manifold is removed
2) Induction system is removed
3) Power steering pump is removed
4) Appropriate fluids are all drained (coolant and oil, want fresh oil in when I put her back together, fuel pipe disconnected)
5) Upper timing cover is off

Intention is to pull the head and intake manifold together. I have all brand new belts to go back on, so I'm cutting the belts off (including timing belt)

I know I still need to disconnect the electrical harness and lay it out of the way. I don't think I need to remove the alternator or A/C, but hey, I'm not under the car at the moment, so I thought I'd ask the awesome people around here :)

What else do I need to get out of the way so I can (hopefully) yank that head tomorrow?

cygnus x-1
08-19-2011, 03:31 PM
I think you've got it all, except for coolant/vacuum hoses and maybe the distributor. You wouldn't have to remove the distributor but it's easy to do and gets it out of the way. There may also be some braces from the intake manifold to the block that need to come off.

C|

Ok, stuck at work (working 3rd shift tonight) and just going over my mental notes. Hoping to yank the head off the Accord tomorrow, so if you guys don't mind - just a quick spot check.

1) Exhaust manifold is removed
2) Induction system is removed
3) Power steering pump is removed
4) Appropriate fluids are all drained (coolant and oil, want fresh oil in when I put her back together, fuel pipe disconnected)
5) Upper timing cover is off

Intention is to pull the head and intake manifold together. I have all brand new belts to go back on, so I'm cutting the belts off (including timing belt)

I know I still need to disconnect the electrical harness and lay it out of the way. I don't think I need to remove the alternator or A/C, but hey, I'm not under the car at the moment, so I thought I'd ask the awesome people around here :)

What else do I need to get out of the way so I can (hopefully) yank that head tomorrow?

Doward
08-19-2011, 08:24 PM
Forgot to mention that - the distro is out of the way, as are the spark plug wires.

Didn't even get to pop the hood on the car today - been that busy :(

Dr_Snooz
08-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I wouldn't cut the belts. You just don't know what's going to happen before everything is over with. You may end up needing them. You will have to remove the lower timing belt cover to get the new belt on BTW. Sounds like you're on the right track otherwise.

Doward
08-20-2011, 07:42 PM
Yep, but I intend to open the lower timing cover after the head is off.

I have all brand new belts, so I don't have any issue with cutting the old ones lol. I won't throw them out, as I might need measurements, but I was missing at least the power steering belt in the first place.

With any luck I MIGHT actually get to work on the car some tomorrow!

Doward
08-21-2011, 04:47 PM
The head is off. For any others - I pulled the head and intake together as a single unit, after moving the fuel injector harness and vacuum lines out of the way.

For future reference, there are 2 bolts under the intake (look down from the passenger side of the car, under the throttle body) that go to a black steel 'support' from the intake to the block. Remove them to remove the head/intake combo.

Yes, the throttle body coolant hoses are a PITA.