PDA

View Full Version : change head gasket

1skatingrink
08-20-2011, 01:44 PM
I believe i need to replace my head gasket on my 86 lxi accord. how is the best way to do this? Is it best to remove the head with intake and exhaust manifolds ? or is this to heavy and bulky to handle by one person?does anyone know how much this would weigh all together?

nswst8
08-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Drop the exhuast manifold leave the intake manifold on. It will be must easier this way.

There are intake manifold bolts that are difficult to access. Easier to handle with it still in place.

It is really an simple and straight foward job.

Good luck.

stephensimmons
08-20-2011, 05:28 PM
Dont forget to loosten the intake support bracket that bolts to the intake and the block or youll never get it off!

1skatingrink
08-21-2011, 06:51 PM
thanks phil and stephensimmons for tips.i am not sure my hot running engine is the head gasket.its not useing any water,no oil in water or water in oil,oil looks normal.have recently changed original honda waterpump with a cheap gmb.i see the fins are completly different.the GMB are thick casting the honda wassteel much thinner and defined,could this be my problem less flow?after my oringle honda pump started leaking from weep holes i added stop leak this stopped the leaking but if i remember correctly it started to run hotter than normal. thinking i blocked coolent flow i put in heavyduty flush but this didn,t help.i removed thermasat the fans are working properly,new slant cap.after driving ten miles temp starts going up above halfway nearing red zone . any ideas? thanhs for any repies Bill