PDA

View Full Version : B20 in an 87 LX parts needed

apache07x
08-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Does anyone have a B18A bell housing for an automatic so I can keep my A20 automatic? What about the flywheel does anyone know which one I need? I'm going to run a carburetor so I can get a distributor for an 80's Integra that will work I believe? What about a water pump and timing belt will any USDM parts work or do I have to get them from overseas?

Edit: There is a 91 -94 Integra at the junk yard by my house with a B18 motor/ trans. Does anyone know if that bell housing would fit my a20a1 transmission and bolt up to a JDM B20 motor?

bullard123
08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Does anyone have a B18A bell housing for an automatic so I can keep my A20 automatic? What about the flywheel does anyone know which one I need? I'm going to run a carburetor so I can get a distributor for an 80's Integra that will work I believe? What about a water pump and timing belt will any USDM parts work or do I have to get them from overseas?

Edit: There is a 91 -94 Integra at the junk yard by my house with a B18 motor/ trans. Does anyone know if that bell housing would fit my a20a1 transmission and bolt up to a JDM B20 motor?

Nope a B18 integra bell housing will not work...It has to be from a JDM B18 or B20A accord...Yes there are USDM parts that will fit. Just search under B20A there are a lot of swaps that were completed in the last year so there should be enough info to get you going:)

AccordB20A
08-22-2011, 09:50 PM
cheaper to find a whole complete b20a gearbox and or do a manual conversion

bullard123
08-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Here's exactly what you need
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-89-Honda-Accord-Prelude-DOHC-B18A-Engine-Automatic-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUC IQ26otnQ3d2Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d2258663 324587173944QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ39034031660 1

apache07x
08-23-2011, 05:21 AM
Thanks Bullard. I saw that one on ebay but was wondering if it would be worth the swap since that motor only has a couple more HP than an A20A1?

I guess it would give me the correct transmission and such to enable me to put a B20A or B, if a B will fit, in it later. I've been looking pretty hard on the internet and I'm not seeing any B20A motors anywhere to fit a 3g Accord? Although I've found several 3g Prelude motors.

Wondering if it may not be easier to find an A20A3 motor, shave the head and block, have the cam re-profiled with my header and Holley carb or maybe try a Weber again on it and gain 30 - 40 HP that way?

Definitely not the power I crave that would come with a B series swap but my car is a daily driver so I need availability of parts more than power I guess? Just not seeing any B series for our cars out there right now.

Am I not looking in the right places or are they getting close to being gone or just no one has them right now? Really would Like a B series but if their always this hard to find it may not be practical in my car since it's a daily driver?

What's your thoughts?

AccordB20A Yeah I figured it may be easier to find a whole transmission but thought maybe one of you guys on here may have an Automatic sitting around that did switch to a five speed or one that was bad with a good bell housing. While I would love to switch to a five speed my fiance doesn't know how to drive one and doesn't want to learn how to drive one apparently. Every time I mention switching it over to a five speed she rolls her eyes and say " I guess I won't be driving this anymore" lmao kind of funny but I got to be realistic she does have to use mine when I work on her 93 Accord and such.

2oodoor
08-23-2011, 08:42 AM
I started reading this thread and I thought you already had landed a B20A that only came in these cars from Japan or Europe.
That is the only one that is a direct bolt in, all the others require engine support fabrication, which I am sure you are well capable of.
I would go for a early 90s B18 non v-tec, and do the carb swap on it so yo uwould have infinite transmission options. Well manual trannys anyways becaue the autos have controlers. There are ways to make those work too but it takes some homework.

There was an importer in Fla that had some of those jdm B20A about 2 yrs ago. The deal is these importers get a container full of jdm clips and parts but when they run across these late 80's B20 they don't have a market for them so they can be bought dirt cheep.

that is kinda how I got mine, came from an importer in Atlanta and I bought it from a member here who had it in his parents garage a few years untouched. Most of those are guarunteed to have 50K or less miles on them.

bullard123
08-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Thanks Bullard. I saw that one on ebay but was wondering if it would be worth the swap since that motor only has a couple more HP than an A20A1?

I guess it would give me the correct transmission and such to enable me to put a B20A or B, if a B will fit, in it later. I've been looking pretty hard on the internet and I'm not seeing any B20A motors anywhere to fit a 3g Accord? Although I've found several 3g Prelude motors.

Wondering if it may not be easier to find an A20A3 motor, shave the head and block, have the cam re-profiled with my header and Holley carb or maybe try a Weber again on it and gain 30 - 40 HP that way?

Definitely not the power I crave that would come with a B series swap but my car is a daily driver so I need availability of parts more than power I guess? Just not seeing any B series for our cars out there right now.

Am I not looking in the right places or are they getting close to being gone or just no one has them right now? Really would Like a B series but if their always this hard to find it may not be practical in my car since it's a daily driver?

What's your thoughts?

AccordB20A Yeah I figured it may be easier to find a whole transmission but thought maybe one of you guys on here may have an Automatic sitting around that did switch to a five speed or one that was bad with a good bell housing. While I would love to switch to a five speed my fiance doesn't know how to drive one and doesn't want to learn how to drive one apparently. Every time I mention switching it over to a five speed she rolls her eyes and say " I guess I won't be driving this anymore" lmao kind of funny but I got to be realistic she does have to use mine when I work on her 93 Accord and such.
That is the motor!! That is the Jdm accord B18A engine. That is the B series engine. You buy that and it drops straight into your accord..and that is the goldtop which is rated at 160 hp

2oodoor
08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
That is the motor!! That is the Jdm accord B18A engine. That is the B series engine. You buy that and it drops straight into your accord..and that is the goldtop which is rated at 160 hp

yep, double the HP of a early A20A1

apache07x
08-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Guy, No I haven't got one yet but I'd like to get one soon. I'm guessing the best thing to do is just be patient then? I would like to get one say by December or January so I can afford to buy another car at tax time and down it for a couple months to do the swap and finish the body work and paint on it. Like you I can't stand to take it to someone else and then have to look at all of their imperfections with paint and body. My work my not be perfect but I do better than your day to day average body shop where their just doing a job and it's not their passion.

Bullard and Guy I've heard the gold top is the 160 HP model from everyone and I'm certainly not disputing that.You guys definitely know more about these than I do and I appreciate everyones' help. I don't want to insult anyone so sorry if I come across that way. I just don't know so I'm asking. Do you think it's possible they don't know what they have and just assumed it's a B18A because of the dual carbs and it's really a B20A, or did someone change the valve cover onto a B18A? I am confused on that particular motor and I ask because their advertising it as a 100 HP B18A and if you look at Wikipedia for the 3g JDM Accords it has the B18A listed as 100 HP and 110 HP. I really don't know as much about these as you guys and that's why I ask. I read stuff from all over the internet and I'm not sure it's true or not so I ask questions. If that is a 100 HP B18A then would it be worth the switch?

2ndGenGuy
08-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Wikipedia... LOL. Most inaccurate source on Honda engines ever.

The JDM B18A is a DOHC dual carb version of the B20A, but you're stuck with weird square intake ports, and you will have to custom build an intake manifold if you wanna do anything with it. You can certainly swap on a B20A Goldtop or Blacktop cylinder head, and probably bore it out to 2 liters and use the B20A pistons, and there ya go. The B18A makes 130hp.

Uh here you go:
http://www.b20a.org/index.php/b18a

apache07x
08-24-2011, 04:31 AM
Wikipedia... LOL. Most inaccurate source on Honda engines ever.

The JDM B18A is a DOHC dual carb version of the B20A, but you're stuck with weird square intake ports, and you will have to custom build an intake manifold if you wanna do anything with it. You can certainly swap on a B20A Goldtop or Blacktop cylinder head, and probably bore it out to 2 liters and use the B20A pistons, and there ya go. The B18A makes 130hp.

Uh here you go:
http://www.b20a.org/index.php/b18a

2G Guy I didn't say Wikipedia was accurate lol that's why I was asking.

Anyways seems to me the B18A is more trouble than it's worth since I can get an A20A3 and have the same HP numbers with a header and performance carb which I already have and it just bolts in with no fuss.

However, I am hoping I got a line on a B20A setup here locally? We'll see they don't know if it's out of a lude or Accord?

AccordB20A
08-24-2011, 06:29 PM
Ive seen gold top b20a accord motors on ebay sell with auto boxes on them. Thats ideally what you want.

apache07x
08-25-2011, 05:05 AM
Think I've found one? Going to look on Saturday and see. It's a gold top with a 5 speed so guess I'll be making the switch even though the fiance is not liking it at all lol but she'll learn to drive it when she has to or take a transit bus I guess.

There are 2 3g's at the local yard with the manual setup. One with an A20 and the other has a B21A1 out of a lude I'm guessing from the backwards lean. Really won't make a difference which one I grab will it? I mean as far as the cluch pedal / cable and shifter and stuff?

2oodoor
09-02-2011, 03:25 AM
let's keep this refreshed, I havent seen Carotman respond yet

apache07x
09-02-2011, 04:33 AM
I did get this engine and transmission a B2K5. Went and got the shifter, pedals and such out of an 87 donor car with an A20. Just gathering up miscellaneous things now. Clutch, seals and gaskets, starter, clutch cable etc.... Had to have a hole in the transmission case welded up. Probably be a while before I actually put it in. I want to do the body work and paint including the engine bay unless I get impatient and drop it in one weekend?

2ndGenGuy
09-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Hole in the transmission case? Was that because the thing grenaded internally? They are known for busting diff pins. Glad you found a B20A and transmission, but I would check out that transmission before you get too far ahead of yourself.

apache07x
09-02-2011, 11:03 AM
Hole in the transmission case? Was that because the thing grenaded internally? They are known for busting diff pins. Glad you found a B20A and transmission, but I would check out that transmission before you get too far ahead of yourself.

Nah 2ndGenGuy pretty sure it wasn't from the inside out. The warehouse that had it poked a hole in it with the forklift I am guessing? Not sure but it was from mishandling of some sort pretty obvious that it was broken somehow from the outside in. The piece that was busted out was actually sitting on top of the end of the shaft it was covering. Here's the thread I started about it if you want to see? http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76345 it has pics

apache07x
09-04-2011, 12:29 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1076150#post1076150

Updating my B20A progress here.

accordlxibseries
09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
i have an a20a3 from an 87 accord lxi hatch. needs rings and probably rebuilt by now. and it has a 4 speed manual transmission that i have NO idea what it came from. but you dont want a manual. frame has 240k miles on it. idk if the engine was ever rebuilt but it was a strong motor. ill sell it to you for 150 bucks. if you pay the shippin or just come pick it up yourself but i assume you dont live in california

apache07x
09-21-2011, 03:43 AM
i have an a20a3 from an 87 accord lxi hatch. needs rings and probably rebuilt by now. and it has a 4 speed manual transmission that i have NO idea what it came from. but you dont want a manual. frame has 240k miles on it. idk if the engine was ever rebuilt but it was a strong motor. ill sell it to you for 150 bucks. if you pay the shippin or just come pick it up yourself but i assume you dont live in california

No thanks dude I have a JDM B20A Gold Top I'm putting in my car in the near future and a strong running A20 in the car now.

accordlxibseries
09-27-2011, 04:39 PM
ive been told the lude b20a wont fit in the accord. you need a jdm accord b20a black top. but thats the feedback im getting from my thread

apache07x
09-27-2011, 07:22 PM
ive been told the lude b20a wont fit in the accord. you need a jdm accord b20a black top. but thats the feedback im getting from my thread

Guess its a good thing I have a JDM Accord Gold top motor then isn't it? But for your information an 85 to 87 JDM Prelude motor that leans forward just like an Accord motor fits as well.

bullard123
12-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Any updates on this swap?? Have you installed the B20A yet?

apache07x
12-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Any updates on this swap?? Have you installed the B20A yet?

Not yet Bullard but I do pretty much have everything to do it with I think. Trying to get rid of my circle track car so I can have my garage to tear the Accord pretty much down to the bones and paint it while it's all apart and do the swap. Also would like to have another car as a backup but not a necessity . Just hate having just one car running. Never know when something may break and your stuck with out a ride.

bullard123
12-21-2011, 01:19 PM
Ok man I feel ya..Took me a while to finish mine too. Let us know if you need any help. And yes having 2 cars running are definately better than one lol

apache07x
12-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Yeah I got my company truck but that doesn't do mama any good if her ride goes down. She's probably going to be mad when I tear the 3G down she drives it more than her 4G but I don't blame her lol.