PDA

View Full Version : my Carbed '89 DX stalling when warmed up? input please..

detroit313
08-22-2011, 07:01 AM
My 3 gee peeps! Been a very long time. been out of the 3gee game a while. since I sold my '88 LX-I few years back. I come to you once again with a question! recently purchased a 1989 accord DX ((carbed)) with 140,000 miles on it. runs like a raped ape! nice acceration no leaks at all and handles nicely!!
Problem is it stalls out when stoping @ red lights etc.. didn't find any bad vacuum lines leaking or anything. this thing is totally stock! Everything is there & untouched. Have any ideas on what it causing the issue? I don't wanna start dropping needless $$ into it. going to start by replacing the PCV this week. i changed the plugs,blew the hell out of the carb with carb cleaner & all the little stuff....only stalls AFTER the engine is totally warmed up! Starts right back up no problem! if slightly pressing the pedal it wont ever stall. like low idle or something...any help would be greatly appreciated..

detroit313
08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Cmon man! One of u experts gotta have something!!

2oodoor
08-23-2011, 08:57 AM
dam I was in here several times yesterday and never saw this thread!

I would first plug off the vacuum advance lines one at a time to see if that made a difference.
Then if I didn't find anything after say 30 minutes of messing with it I would buy a weber conversion. lol
It must be stalling lean if it starts right back up like that, so yeah, vac leak.

marklj
08-24-2011, 05:08 AM
If you have checked for obvious vacuum leaks, maybe something as simple as the base idle speed? Check the hood decal for specs, but I believe it is around 750 rpm for the auto. 850 for a stick. +-50 rpm. Don’t trust the factory dash tachometer. Use one of the dwell/tachometer/voltmeter automotive analyzers.

If the base idle is OK, the next thing to check may be the idle mixture adjustment. You can confirm if it is too lean by a little spray of carb cleaner with the engine fully warmed up. If the revs pick up a lot, 100 – 200 rpm or more, then the idle mixture should be adjusted.

Dr_Snooz
08-25-2011, 07:15 PM
I'd bet if you just start using quality, high-grade gas, the problem will go away in a few months. If it doesn't, then rebuild the carb.

panthere0rose
07-17-2012, 11:54 PM
My 3 gee peeps! Been a very long time. been out of the 3gee game a while. since I sold my '88 LX-I few years back. I come to you once again with a question! recently purchased a 1989 accord DX ((carbed)) with 140,000 miles on it. runs like a raped ape! nice acceration no leaks at all and handles nicely!!
Problem is it stalls out when stoping @ red lights etc.. didn't find any bad vacuum lines leaking or anything. this thing is totally stock! Everything is there & untouched. Have any ideas on what it causing the issue? I don't wanna start dropping needless $$ into it. going to start by replacing the PCV this week. i changed the plugs,blew the hell out of the carb with carb cleaner & all the little stuff....only stalls AFTER the engine is totally warmed up! Starts right back up no problem! if slightly pressing the pedal it wont ever stall. like low idle or something...any help would be greatly appreciated..

hii i have the same problem in my 87 carb you have fixed the problem tell me how ?