PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Base Mount

pink_sleeve
08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
From what I'm gathering the thing on top of the base mount that is blocking me from getting to the 3rd bolt is the pcv valve correct? What size wrench or socket is needed to remove it? It is bigger then a 7/8. The next biggest size I have is 1 1/8th and its somewhere in between those but I'm guessing it is metric.

pink_sleeve
08-23-2011, 02:58 PM
Actually this is probably the oil pressure valve maybe? Idk the correct name?

lostforawhile
08-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Actually this is probably the oil pressure valve maybe? Idk the correct name?
it's the oil pressure sender, there is a useless rubber dust boot over it, it's probably cracked and split, most just rip off the boot, once you do you'll see the sender screwed into the top. disconnect the wire before unscrewing.

pink_sleeve
08-23-2011, 07:51 PM
it's the oil pressure sender, there is a useless rubber dust boot over it, it's probably cracked and split, most just rip off the boot, once you do you'll see the sender screwed into the top. disconnect the wire before unscrewing.

Thanks. I got it off. What is the tube called that comes out of the oil pan and goes into the black box. It is leaking as well and it looks like someone added extra clamps to try to get it to stop before me. I remember reading about it somewhere and that it is a PIA to remove and reinstall a new one? I am planning on doing the oil pan gasket and was thinking i should do that tube at the same time?

car6289
08-23-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks. I got it off. What is the tube called that comes out of the oil pan and goes into the black box. It is leaking as well and it looks like someone added extra clamps to try to get it to stop before me. I remember reading about it somewhere and that it is a PIA to remove and reinstall a new one? I am planning on doing the oil pan gasket and was thinking i should do that tube at the same time?

It is the oil drain tube from the air/oil separator (black box) to the oil pan. Part # 11854-PC6-010 it's just over $18.00 from Majestic. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

pink_sleeve
08-23-2011, 08:19 PM
It is the oil drain tube from the air/oil separator (black box) to the oil pan. Part # 11854-PC6-010 it's just over $18.00 from Majestic. http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Does it require dropping the pan to do it? That black box on my car looks like it has been tampered with at some point in it's life....

car6289
08-24-2011, 08:28 AM
It's an either/or proposition. Pull off the air/oil separator or remove the oil pan. You are correct it is a PIA. If you are changing the oil pan gasket, change the hose at that time. I've done it the other way by removing the air/oil separator which is a royal PIA. I did my hose replacement this way as the upper tube where the PCV valve resides was damaged and I replaced it at the same time. If you go this route for hose replacement you should also replace the o-ring on the pipe of the air/oil separator that is inserted in the engine block.

pink_sleeve
08-24-2011, 01:28 PM
I think I have some of the worst luck when it comes to trying to do things right. So while I have the filter base mount off I took apart the bypass valve and my oh my to my wonderful surprise the spring inside is broken. Lucky for me I called the dealer and what do you know that spring has been discontinued and should have cost around 3 bucks. Now ill have to go to pull a part and deal with the wonderful a holes that run that place. My last 2 trips there have not been very pleasant do to them hiring morons and being located in the worst possible neighborhood they could find.

lostforawhile
08-24-2011, 01:33 PM
I think I have some of the worst luck when it comes to trying to do things right. So while I have the filter base mount off I took apart the bypass valve and my oh my to my wonderful surprise the spring inside is broken. Lucky for me I called the dealer and what do you know that spring has been discontinued and should have cost around 3 bucks. Now ill have to go to pull a part and deal with the wonderful a holes that run that place. My last 2 trips there have not been very pleasant do to them hiring morons and being located in the worst possible neighborhood they could find.

I probably have one around, If I don't there are lots of others here that do, just put up a wanted post

pink_sleeve
08-24-2011, 02:17 PM
I probably have one around, If I don't there are lots of others here that do, just put up a wanted post

PM me how much you want. My car is down till I find one. I don't want to just throw it back together knowing it is broke.

car6289
08-24-2011, 03:38 PM
That's shitty. I never dove that deep when I changed my oil filter base gasket a few years ago. Hopefully Lost or someone else here can come through for you.

Found the same part number (15232-PB2-000) spring for a Honda motorcycle engine at this link http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=HOM#%2fHonda%2fCB750A_A_%2878%29 _MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_CB750A-7200001%2fOIL_PAN_%2b_OIL_FILTER%2fCB750A-78-JPN-A%2f2Y133932E13393214A

pink_sleeve
08-24-2011, 03:51 PM
That's shitty. I never dove that deep when I changed my oil filter base gasket a few years ago. Hopefully Lost or someone else here can come through for you.

Found the same part number (15232-PB2-000) spring for a Honda motorcycle engine at this link http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=HOM#%2fHonda%2fCB750A_A_%2878%29 _MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_CB750A-7200001%2fOIL_PAN_%2b_OIL_FILTER%2fCB750A-78-JPN-A%2f2Y133932E13393214A

Yeah I'm kinda bummed about it. I was trying to get some repairs done before my daughter starts 3rd grade on Monday and now I'm stuck car less until I get a spring. I might have to reassemble it broken to get her to school but I'd really like to avoid having to do that :(

lostforawhile
08-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Ok I found it. all I ask is when you can, find me another base,this is my spare, I just came back from my storage unit, and I finally found the stupid thing.

lostforawhile
08-25-2011, 07:02 PM
I sent you the tracking number, have to take care of people around my hometown

pink_sleeve
08-25-2011, 09:16 PM
I sent you the tracking number, have to take care of people around my hometown

Thank you so much. I will find you a replacement as soon as i can.

pink_sleeve
08-29-2011, 07:16 PM
Ok i got the spring from lostforawhile today and reassemble everything and put everything back together and now the oil light is staying on on my dash? Maybe i damaged the wire going to the oil pressure sending unit when i was ripping the boot off because i kept wiggling the wire and the light was not going off? Any suggestions?

lostforawhile
08-29-2011, 07:24 PM
Ok i got the spring from lostforawhile today and reassemble everything and put everything back together and now the oil light is staying on on my dash? Maybe i damaged the wire going to the oil prseeure sending unit when i was ripping the boot off because i kept wiggling the wire and the light was not going off? Any suggestions?
you may have installed the valve body backwards

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/moultriemanicmechanic/2011-08-29_230015.png

lostforawhile
08-29-2011, 07:38 PM
since the light comes on with the sender disconnected, this means the sender wire is shorted to ground. with it disconnected the light won't come on

lostforawhile
08-29-2011, 07:52 PM
there is an additional circuit in the multifunction box, this flashes the lamp if there is a brief drop in oil pressure while the engine is running, it just creates an additional ground causing the lamp to come on, the circuit latches and causes the lamp to flash until you turn off the key and reset it. the basic oil pressure lamp circuit is independent of it though, the flasher circuit isn't needed for it to work

pink_sleeve
08-30-2011, 07:46 PM
Fixed the problem. It was the actual sender unit itself. On to the next project.

pink_sleeve
09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Well back to the same problem. Good news is the car is leaking a lot less oil. Bad news is the dash oil light came on today. Pulling the sender and gonna put a new one on. Maybe that one was defective I hope. If not does that mean I need a new oil pump now also?

lostforawhile
09-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Well back to the same problem. Good news is the car is leaking a lot less oil. Bad news is the dash oil light came on today. Pulling the sender and gonna put a new one on. Maybe that one was defective I hope. If not does that mean I need a new oil pump now also?you need to verify the actual oil pressure, if it's bad you more then likely need an engine, the oil pump can leak, but they rarely go bad

pink_sleeve
09-01-2011, 04:20 PM
How do you do that? I'm thinking I should have just left the leak alone because I have never saw the light on till now :(

pink_sleeve
09-02-2011, 12:42 AM
I put a new pressure sender on and now the oil light is off but it comes on if the car idles below 700rpms? Is that normal or is the engine junk since supposedly the oil pumps never go bad???

old accord guy
11-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Hi Guys,

I appear to have an "oil filter base gasket" leak and wonder where one would find a replacement for same. Also, we have great manuals here but do we have a Honda Part Numbers book? Sure would be great to have. My local Honda dealer just smiles when I ask for parts for my 89 Accord. What an AH. Thanks, Rick

car6289
11-05-2011, 01:48 PM
Part number was 15205-PC6-014 back in 2008. I found the receipt from when I replaced that leaking seal a few years ago.
Majestic Honda shows it to be the same part number now:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=ACCORD&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=BREATHER+TUBE+-+OIL+FILTER

I paid twice as much from the local $tealer$hip three years ago than Majestic Honda's current price of $2.45.

Happy part hunting!!!

Dr_Snooz
11-05-2011, 03:17 PM
I put a new pressure sender on and now the oil light is off but it comes on if the car idles below 700rpms? Is that normal or is the engine junk since supposedly the oil pumps never go bad???

I hadn't seen this one before. If your pressure relief spring was broken, then it was probably allowing a lot of oil to bypass your engine, ie: low pressure and oil starvation. Combine that with a less than wonderful factory idiot light and a bad sender and you could have burned up the engine without ever knowing. I burned mine up and never saw the idiot light.

The only answer is to put an oil pressure gauge on it to see what's going on. If pressure is low, try replacing the oil pump, but you are probably looking at a rebuild at this point. Are you getting any knocking from the block? Any smoking under load?

lostforawhile
11-05-2011, 06:00 PM
I hadn't seen this one before. If your pressure relief spring was broken, then it was probably allowing a lot of oil to bypass your engine, ie: low pressure and oil starvation. Combine that with a less than wonderful factory idiot light and a bad sender and you could have burned up the engine without ever knowing. I burned mine up and never saw the idiot light.

The only answer is to put an oil pressure gauge on it to see what's going on. If pressure is low, try replacing the oil pump, but you are probably looking at a rebuild at this point. Are you getting any knocking from the block? Any smoking under load?

it's very possible the pump seal is leaking, thats a common issue, it's just an O ring. if the oil filter base seal is leaking the oil pump seal is probably going to.

Dr_Snooz
11-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Ah yes. Forgot about the oil pump seal. I'm pretty concerned about that broken spring though. That's a fairly critical part.