PDA

View Full Version : Trim rings for '79 4-door

chrisgreencar
08-23-2011, 08:08 PM
I may have posted here before about my 1979 Accord 4-door (less than 10K original miles). Anyway, parts are SO hard to find for these cars! Here's just one thing I'm looking for -- the trim rings for the original wheels.
Mine are just like the car's in this ad: (well I can't post links, but it's the standard 4-hole wheel on a '79 Accord).
They are dinged up a bit and I would like to replace. Are these a standard available item, or unique to this model/year? Or can I just order a standard trim ring (not make-specific) in the correct size and that will be it? I don't know the size spec, though. Can anyone advise?

2ndGenGuy
08-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Just about any Honda 13 inch trim ring should work. I think they used them up to the mid 80s maybe early 90s on the Civic. I've pulled them off Preludes, Accords and Civics and so far they've all been the same... YMMV.

chrisgreencar
08-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Thanks for that. Now what's the best source for those 13-inch trim rings?

2ndGenGuy
08-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Pretty much, just the wrecking yards. I imagine they're plentiful down where you are. The 1stgencivic forums have guys posting wrecking yard finds in the LA area all the time. That might be a good place to start.

chrisgreencar
08-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Well, I'm looking for something new. You mean no one is producing these any more? I already have all the rings that are probably in better shape than anything you'd find in a wrecking yard. They are just dinged up.

2ndGenGuy
08-24-2011, 12:32 PM
You could probably just buy some generic 13 inch chrome trim rings. I'm pretty sure that they are almost all universal, just the same way hubcaps are. Also, 3 of the 4 rings on my car that are perfect were found in wrecking yards...

chrisgreencar
08-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Good to know. These days it seems to me that the wheels are about the first things to disappear off cars in wrecking yards. Seems like a needle in a haystack proposition, but I guess you never know! I did visit a couple of yards a couple of years ago when I first got the car, and I did find a few 1st gen Accords, along with what seemed like millions of 3Gs and a lot of 4Gs. The 2s are getting rare.

2ndGenGuy
08-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah I hear you on the rarity... Drove 400 miles to get parts for my 81 a few months back... ugh!

Check it:http://www.google.com/search?q=13+inch+chrome+trim+rings&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=13+inch+chrome+trim+rings&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=FPi&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=jYdVTuCKHaPmiALCo9DWDA&ved=0CGkQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.&fp=b3d5a82c701b5f79&biw=1218&bih=667

79cord
08-25-2011, 01:46 AM
I do like the factory trim-rings though, stainless-steel where many are merely chromed and with a nicely chamfered edge properly covering the wheel-lip where some have a large flat face or a large soft radius neither of which look right.
Take a close look at alternatives.
At least they remained unchanged on many later Honda as said.
I just wish I could get some as nice in 14" for my Integra.

1GCustomAccord
08-31-2011, 09:39 AM
NOTE: They are also called "Beauty rings".