PDA

View Full Version : Leak in a coolant hose. need help getting part # for replacement part

BrokenBone
08-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Does anyone have a diagram with all the hoses and part #'s? If not its ok i have a pic on my phone i can post. Its a small 4" long tube with a leak that causes my lxi to over heat really bad. Ive been driving it like this for a while and im so exited i found out whats wrong.

RAZR
08-24-2011, 02:37 PM
wheres the hose located?

BrokenBone
08-24-2011, 04:37 PM
Right here :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g161/rblimas/e880c4f8.jpg

It connects to this:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g161/rblimas/8dae09fd.jpg

nswst8
08-24-2011, 07:44 PM
You should be able to replace with standard stock 5/8", 3/4" heater hose. You really don't want to spend what the cost of that specific hose will be.

BrokenBone
08-24-2011, 08:08 PM
You should be able to replace with standard stock 5/8", 3/4" heater hose. You really don't want to spend what the cost of that specific hose will be.

You mean 5/8" or 3/4" heater hose? Will it make a difference what size i get? And i can pick that part up at like pepboys right?

DBMaster
08-25-2011, 10:29 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that if you have a leak in one of these you're going to start getting leaks in several of them. Mine did the same thing four years ago. It leaked in the same place yours is. The next one that leaked was the one that connects under the distributor. After that it was one of the little bypass hoses connected to the IACV. I ordered ALL of them from Majestic Honda for around $55 and replaced them in about two hours. Not a job for the faint of heart, but doable.

nswst8
08-25-2011, 12:14 PM
I agree with Mike, if you have the funds order all the hoses except the ones that you can use heater hose for.

Get a foot of each and see which one fits best.

BrokenBone
08-25-2011, 03:24 PM
I agree with Mike, if you have the funds order all the hoses except the ones that you can use heater hose for.

Get a foot of each and see which one fits best.

Where can i buy heater hose by the foot? I seen some on ebay but its blue

nswst8
08-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Autozone, Pepboys, Orielly's, Carquest, Napa or any local autoparts store in your area.

BrokenBone
08-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Autozone, Pepboys, Orielly's, Carquest, Napa or any local autoparts store in your area.

Kragen had them cheap. Got both sizes but both look too thick
how do i get the clips holding the old hose off, looks like there is a trick to getting them off and on the new hose

nswst8
08-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Cut the middle section off the old hose, slide the clips off with pliers. Remove remaining hose after cutting a slit down the center and just peel off.

You can use the original clips by placing them over the new hose in the center next to each other, slip hose in place and use pliers agains to slide clips into position. Or buy some new hose screw clamps

Note: Place some lubricant around the hose couplings, this allows the easier placement of the new hose.

BrokenBone
08-26-2011, 02:17 PM
Thank u for all ur helP!! I fixed the leak but my check engine light still comes on when it starts to warm up. My thermostat reads cold until the check engine light come up(engine coolant temp sensor) then it stars to show my car warming up.
I thought the light came on because my car was over heating but now she does not over heat. Btw I only have water I'n the radiator, no antifreeze or coolant. Would switching to coolant fix the check engine light?

nswst8
08-26-2011, 03:24 PM
No you will need to change the coolant temp sensor but you do need to use coolant mixture 50/50.