PDA

View Full Version : Pull or Dive when braking and rotor "warping"

1868ccmgb
08-28-2011, 03:28 AM
I have this issue ironed out, but wanted to pass along my experiences.

1986 Accord LXi
4dr
M5 trans
problem started at 130k miles

Car would shake when stopping, figured warped rotors so I replaced them. All was fine for 2000 miles and it went to shaking again, replaced rotors under warranty. Fine for another 2k and started shaking.

Replaced with a different brand of rotor, rebuilt the calipers, and replaced the flex lines. Fine for 5k miles and the shake came back. So this go around I measured rotor run-out- it was in spec. Measured rotor thickness and found one rotor to be in spec, the other rotor had a thickness variation of .001 inches which is out of tollerance.

Had them turned at the local O'Rilley, thickness was within .0001 but runout was questionable and I had to go to work the next day so I put them on.

With the shake cleared up I [B]very[B] quickly found that I had a hard pull when braking. @#%$

The proportioning valve is divided into sections, the top section controls the right front wheel and left rear wheel, bottom section vice-versa.

I made a run to the junk yard and picked up a proportioning valve from an 88LXi, took it apart, cleaned it out and reassembled. Did the install and with the help of a friend bled the brakes(easier than using my 1-man bleeder).

This fixed my pulling problem. Been about 5k miles since we swapped the valve and it has not gone back to shaking either.

The brake master also works diagonally, so it is possible to have half of the master fail and get a pull to one side.

Hope this helps!

nswst8
08-28-2011, 07:21 AM
Thanks for the info, sounds like good preventive maintenance project.

1868ccmgb
08-28-2011, 08:09 AM
FYI, I pulled the 86 prop valve apart today. It had chunky stuff in it, the valves moved slowly and would occasionally stick. Gonna clean out my original and put it on the shelf.

Dr_Snooz
08-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Good to know. Thanks for the update! I would never think to look at a prop valve.

Pnem3
08-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Great tip. I'm going to grab one from a yard and clean it up. Thanks.

gp02a0083
08-29-2011, 03:37 PM
typically I have seen the housings for the floating pins wear out and cause this issue as well.