PDA

View Full Version : I think it's the carb??

Dslattz
08-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Okay, So I hesitantly allowed a friend to Sea Foam my 81 Accord... You know, flow some seafoam through the manifold via a vac line. Surprisingly once the smoke cleared, it ran great for about a week. Then, while driving to work, it stalled. Only way it would start was to floor it. Once started it ran okay, later that day it would only start with the gas floored. Even when driving, if i let off the gas to shift gears, it would die. I drove it home when I got home I noticed the Catalytic Converter was glowing red. I assumed bad cat. I have dropped the cat, and even with the cat removed it still wont run the same, still need to floor it. So I figure it's the carb. I would swap to a Weber, but I can't, I need to pass emissions. Okay guru's.. Save my ass... again....

1GCustomAccord
08-31-2011, 09:18 AM
You can try to get your carb rebuilt. Seems to be sending too much fuel to the engine, so the first place to look at is the fluel chamber level, check the float and needle for proper operation. If the engine wont run at idle, sometimes the electric solenoid in the carb is not working, but i dont think this is the case. Just try not to use the car in this way if you dont want to ruin your engine.

2ndGenGuy
08-31-2011, 09:34 AM
You might just need to readjust the mixture. The carb was probably tuned over the years as things built up, and now that they're clearing out, you might have to readjust it.

Also, without the cat and the rest of the exhaust system, your car will NOT run right. So just dropping the cat and running it with the downpipe open is not really going to help you diagnose anything.

Dslattz
08-31-2011, 04:38 PM
Good points, the both of you. And thank you both for responding. I have since reconnected the cat and exhaust system. I reset the floats and mixture, got it running and began the process of adjusting. No matter what combination, the carb dumps fuel, almost like no adjustment can be made to stop it from flowing. I have to admit, I think I'm past the point of no return on this carb. Time to order a new one.. Any thoughts? Any way I can throw a Weber on here and still pass inspection??

1GCustomAccord
09-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Did you check your needles? Maybe something is stuck in the needle's seat and it can't seat properly (Maybe the fuel filter/hoses needs replacement). I dont think the thing can suddenly fail so badly.
Another VERY important thing to check is the O'Rings in the brass needle's seats ( The things with the screwdriver's slot to adjust the fuel level) , there's 2 of them in each seat and if they fail, they will leak fuel into the carb causing extreme overflow.

Dslattz
09-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Now that I'm holding them, the O-rings are shot. Let me pick some up today and see how that does... Thanks..

Dslattz
09-02-2011, 12:30 PM
Changed my mind... This thing is screwed! I have fuel in just about every vac line on this thing... One of the floats is stuck... I'm not getting into this thing. So step 2. Buy myself out of trouble.. Pros and cons, weber or stock. Remeber I have to pass emisions... Thanks again for all your help..

1GCustomAccord
09-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Well.. i am not certain if you can pass emissions with a Weber, here you can drop a Quadrajet if you want, no emissions control by govt.
I think you yahe 2 options.. you can drop those new orings in, free the stuck float and try to adjust the level and see what happens or buy a Weber, adapt the thing and try to pass using all the available tools and tips. Here some tips to pass:

http://www.smogtips.com/passing-emissions-test.cfm

You can also try an additive like "Guaranteed to pass" to improve engine function before the test, i used it in my ´00 Audi A4 V6 and it worked VERY different for 2-3 weeks, fuel consumption improved and the engine felt great during that period, then after 2-3 weeks it went back to the "normal" high fuel consumption and rough idle...

Here a strightforward guide to set the float height that helped me once when i didnt want to mess with float height measures, but use it at your own risk:

http://hubcap.clemson.edu/~wstef/carb.html

Dslattz
09-02-2011, 07:41 PM
Thanks boss... I have rueled out the weber.. I found a bench tested HON7 ready to drop in. I did put the o-rings in, but that didn't help. This thing is 30 years old, I figure the rebuilt is due anyways. Thanks again for the help. I know I'll need that adjustment chart sooner or later... I'll let you know how the rebuilt works out..

lostscotiaguy
11-15-2011, 11:37 AM
"I'll let you know how the rebuilt works out..." Yeah, please DO. I'm kind of in the same situation as you are (also with an 81 in CA) although I've already rebuilt my carb and I STILL can't dial it in the way I like! I've considered a weber, and I know that some people have been able to get theirs to pass smog but it seems a little "hit or miss". Please let me know how you make out with testing, and where you got your HON7 from.