PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Leak - Water Pump?

marklj
09-02-2011, 04:53 AM
My '88 DX just started leaking coolant, leaving a small puddle when it is parked. I crawled under and found it dripping from the bottom of the lower timing belt cover. I looked at what I could see of the water pump and inside the water pump pulley and it looked dry.

I’m also getting a squeaking form the left side of the engine, only when it is first run in the morning. No squeaks after running for a minute or on subsequent starts during the rest of the day.

I’m pretty sure all this indicates a failed water pump. Thoughts?

marklj
09-02-2011, 05:07 AM
Hearing bad things about Cardone and GMB water pumps.

Found one in stock at a local O'Reilly Auto Parts.

Master Pro Select Water Pump
Limited Lifetime Warranty
$29.99

Anybody have any experience with the Master Pro brand?

DBMaster
09-02-2011, 05:47 AM
I only use Honda OEM pumps. Honda supposedly has a patented bearing/seal design. The factory pump is not much more than aftermarket on the price. I once put in a brand new aftermarket pump from NAPA. It looked good and cost me $45. I did it for convenience. I had to do a water pump replacement after only 16 months because the bearing developed a rattle and then the seal started leaking. The job is too much trouble to try to save a few bucks!

marklj
09-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Stopped by the Honda dealer today. $82 and not in stock, but they could get it the next business day.

I went with the O'Reilly Auto Parts one for $29.99. At least it has a lifetime warranty and I can get started on it this weekend.

DBMaster
09-02-2011, 02:40 PM
Majestic Honda - www.hondaautomotiveparts.com - is where I buy mine. Whatever it costs, it's still worth it. It's not like you have to replace it that often.

marklj
09-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Majestic Honda - www.hondaautomotiveparts.com - is where I buy mine. Whatever it costs, it's still worth it. It's not like you have to replace it that often.

Hmmm...

Picked Water pump (carb)

"No items available for the selection. Please select again"

Majestic Honda's website still has issues or they no longer support the 3G.

:-(

marklj
09-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Water pump replaced.

For me, I had to remove:

Air cleaner
Valve cover and upper timing belt cover
Alternator belt and water pump pulley. I broke the three bolts loose with a 3/8” air ratchet.
Alternator brace.

Removed the top 2 water pump bolts.
Popped out the rubber plug from the lower timing belt cover and removed that water pump bolt.
Removed the final fourth water pump bolt at the bottom right.
Removed the two back upper bolts from the lower timing belt cover.
The lower timing belt cover would flex some but not enough for the water pump to clear the alternator brace stud. I jammed two nuts together and was able to back the stud out of the block. I was then able to remove the water pump.

Got it all back together.

marklj
09-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Almost forgot to add this:

On my '88 DX, there is a thick washer that will fall out as you remove the alternator adjusting screw anchor bolt. It goes between the alternator brace and the alternator. Otherwise the alternator will be out of alignment when you put it back together. I was fortunate and heard something hit the floor as I was pulling it apart.