PDA

View Full Version : Odd clacking sound when moving???

Burn1nRubb3r
09-09-2011, 06:49 AM
I just recently purchased a 1988 accord coupe and have done a lot of work to it in the last couple weeks of owning it. Just the other day I could hear a clacking sound when going 40 MPH or faster, it sounds almost like a rod knock but will not do it unless I am moving, it doesn't do it when the car is stopped. I put the car in neutral and coast and it still does it, it's not the CV axles as it does not do it when turning, so I am lost as to what it is. This is my second 3rd gen by the way.

Dr_Snooz
09-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Recheck everything you were working on before you started hearing the noise. Odds are you left something loose.

Burn1nRubb3r
09-10-2011, 07:49 PM
the work I have done would have nothing to do with the noise, some interior and mechanical work to the motor. it seems like it could possibly be something in the front end rattling, any ideas?

w261w261
09-11-2011, 03:20 AM
Does out do it when moving on a smooth road or do there need to be bumps? Does it pull to one side or the other on acceleration? If so, its probably the front stabilizer bars bushings.

Dr_Snooz
09-11-2011, 01:59 PM
So you did some work on the engine, but won't even consider the possibility that a rod-knock noise coming from the engine is in any way related? :slap:

Help me understand what I'm missing here.

Burn1nRubb3r
09-11-2011, 06:43 PM
it doesn't knock at idle or when revved, the motor runs fine it is only when coasting, it can be in neutral or in gear and it will still make the noise, I could probably shut it off while coasting and it would still make the noise. I checked the wheels, nothing is loose and all bearing roll freely, I am going to check the brakes next as they may be loose although I have not had any abnormal problems with the brakes yet. Thanks for the help, I do appreciate it!

Burn1nRubb3r
09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Does out do it when moving on a smooth road or do there need to be bumps? Does it pull to one side or the other on acceleration? If so, its probably the front stabilizer bars bushings.

it will do it on smooth or bumpy roads, it pulls slightly to the right, and I can't tell if it is worse over bumps, it is also fine under acceleration. I might take it in to the guy I go to for wheel alignments and see if he can figure it out cause it is bugging me to much.

EDIT: Thanks for the help guys, I think your right about the stabilizer bar bushings w261, I looked up the symptoms and a few youtube videos and it is exactly my problem. I will have it fixed shortly! Next project is a new carb!