PDA

View Full Version : looking for proper guide to adjusting valve springs.

Convenienze
09-12-2011, 01:24 PM
title explains all.
im getting noise, which sounds like its comming from the valvetrain.

or maybe someone here could pinpoint it if its not my problem.
if the engine idles down in neutral and i hit the gas real quick, i get a small knock sound. it only does it once.
but if im going, acceling through gears, or in a gear cruising and give it more gas, i get a little sound, its almost like a fast ticking / tapping sound like a lifter or something.

its really hard to explain.. but starting with adjusting the valves would be a nice start.

i have all the tools needed. thats not a problem, feeler guages and everything..
you name it i have it..

Keachman1
09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
That sounds like spark knock or detonation. You should check your ignition timing first because this can cause engine damage if thats what it is. Download the shop manual on this site and it tells you how to check ignition timing and how to adjust your valves. When was the last time the valves were adjusted? They are supposed to be checked every 15,000 miles.

Convenienze
09-13-2011, 06:15 AM
i'm not sure when they were last adjusted.
the car had 220k on it when i got it. ive put 8k on it since then.
i took the plugs out yesterday to clean them also and found that the car is running lean, plugs were white. so i wouldnt doubt the detonation part. i gotta look into it i suppose. ill go download the manual.

Oldblueaccord
09-13-2011, 08:42 PM
loose timing belt ?

Adjusting the valves is best explain by the manual really. Its just like setting a soild cam in an american V-8.

FYI there are no lifters in our car.

wp

Convenienze
09-14-2011, 06:41 AM
loose timing belt ?

Adjusting the valves is best explain by the manual really. Its just like setting a soild cam in an american V-8.

FYI there are no lifters in our car.

wp

yeah i dont know what i was thinking when i said lifters, wasnt thinking right i guess. but i guess it could relate to the sound as a comparison. cause thats kinda what it sounds like.

im still not sure what it is though..

stat1K
09-14-2011, 08:01 AM
the quick jolt on the gas from neutral or idle could be the transmission making the noise, more than likely it's the front mount or rear mount letting the motor bounce a bit and giving a slight knock.

as for the sewing machine noise that's typically the valves. they are probably a bit loose, there is a specific order to do them in obviously but typically honda clearances are fine at .007 intake and .009 exhaust. loosen the bolt with a 10mm wrench, use your flat head to tighten the adjustment screw until the gauge slides with slight drag and then hold it in place and tighten the nut with the 10mm wrench. repeat in the order designated for your motor. typically you'd start in the middle and work your way out like head bolts or bearing caps.

2oodoor
09-14-2011, 08:35 AM
valve lash a little loose never hurt anything...

Sounds like preignition, check cam belt timing then check ignition timing. You have to always re check ignition timing after setting cam belt timing and it is best to do it even after setting valve lash.

without turning a wrench try some 93 octane premium gas and see if it still does it... if not then definatley preignition issue

POS carb
09-16-2011, 12:58 PM
sounds like preignition to me too. next time your tank is empty put some 93 octane in it. if it helps most likely you have too much carbon build-up in the cylinder head. use a timing light to verify timing settings. if your distributor has 2 vacuum lines only one should have vacuum after warmup. if both have vacuum at operating temp you have a bad thermovalve.
Setting the valves is pretty easy. adjust each rocker with the cam lobe down. I run .004 intake and .008 exhaust
mark off each as you go along. when you finish each one hold the adjuster screw with your screwdriver as you tighten the locknut and recheck clearance