PDA

View Full Version : 89 lxi oil leak help

raisinbran
09-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Ive looked in previous threads and im yet to find anything helpful. my 89 lxi smokes from the engine bay because of an oil leak that drips onto the exhaust, i removed the exhaust pipe except for the header, sprayed it all down with degreaser and drove it, after a few times around the block, i got back under it, and cant find where its leaking. im suspecting the oil pan gasket is bad, but before i replace it, does anyone have any other ideas of what it could be, or any ways of trouble shooting it? ive replaced pcv valve and put new clamps on the hose coming out of the pan, yet it still drips on the exhuast. any help and or tips are greatly appreciated.

Oldblueaccord
09-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Mine ended up being the power steering hose of all things. It started seeping and would piss out once in a while and make a bunch of smoke when it hit the manifold.

wp

Dr_Snooz
09-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Most likely your oil filter base gasket.

raisinbran
09-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Mine ended up being the power steering hose of all things. It started seeping and would piss out once in a while and make a bunch of smoke when it hit the manifold.

wp

yeah i happened to check my ps fluid and it was low, added some to it and its seeping out of the line and runs down the block and drips right on the pipe
thanks for the heads up!

2oodoor
09-14-2011, 11:14 AM

^^this

most common oil leak that drips on the exhaust on these cars, not the oil filter itself but the piece it screws on to is a seperate part attached to the block, between that and the block there is a rubber gasket that gets brittle and cracks resulting in an annoying leak

raisinbran
09-15-2011, 01:21 PM
^^this

most common oil leak that drips on the exhaust on these cars, not the oil filter itself but the piece it screws on to is a seperate part attached to the block, between that and the block there is a rubber gasket that gets brittle and cracks resulting in an annoying leak

yeah i fixed the ps line and the oil pan gasket, yet it still smoked, guess im on to that

POS carb
09-16-2011, 12:24 PM

part # is 15205-PC6-014