PDA

View Full Version : Headlights dim on bass beat

mike-db
09-13-2011, 08:06 PM
So I'm sitting with a stock alternator (as far as I know) the amp I'm using is a Xplod 1200W amp. What would be the best way to fix this? A more beefy alternator? Or a duel battery setup? Which way is cheapest? Pros/Cons?

Thanks,
Mike

itzdave
09-13-2011, 08:17 PM
get a cap...

mike-db
09-13-2011, 08:22 PM
I see everywhere people say get a cap, or not to because it's not worth it. Do caps work? How much do they cost? I've seen people say that minimum I'd pay atleast $200 for a cap... At that price I might as well buy a god-damned beefy ass alternator right?

EDIT/ I don't even know where the hell to buy one.

itzdave
09-13-2011, 08:44 PM
yes they are worth it, it shouldnt cost that much. and you can 'google' car stereo capacitor and look for a 1 farad cap.
a cap is be a 'short-term backup battery' that kicks in when the stereo takes too much power, so it prevents the lights from dimming.

easy way to explain it...

Hauntd ca3
09-14-2011, 01:47 AM
i'd be making sure all the power and ground cables are good and of proper sizing.
is no use having 4 AWG or bigger power cable and ground if the batt to chassis ground is the factory 8AWG rubbish.
the amp will only be able to draw as much as the ground can carry.
if you know how to use a multimeter properly, check voltage drops on both pos and neg side at amp and battery when the stereo is cranking good, you might need to bodge up a long lead to check pos voltage drop between batt and amp tho.
a second batt is for the amp is both a pain in the arse , coz you have to charge it as well as the cars normal battery which puts extra strain on the altenator and a battery CANNOT supply the current that a 1 farad capacitor can.
a 1 farad cap , if of a good quality can discharge at a far higher rate than just about any battery i've come across and i'm an auto electrician.
they also weigh stuff all and you just wire them in line with the power cable to the amp.
but make sure the cabling is up to task first, and remember the earth side is just as important as the power side adn that anyone that tells you differant is is playing with themselves

mike-db
09-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the help everyone!

Hash_man_Se_i
09-15-2011, 08:09 AM
upgrade your under hood grounds to your alternator, etc to 4awg first before buying a cap. My amp draws over 120A of current and I no longer get dimming lights and I don't have a cap at all right now.

Caps can help sometimes, but upgrading your underhood grounds is the easiest way to fix this problem. Next step for me will be a rewound alternator.