PDA

View Full Version : Hissing at Acceleration between 1-3K RPM

Discovery
09-14-2011, 02:26 PM
After sitting for a while, my '86 Carb Accord just started to hesitate and misfire if I suddenly press the gas pedal between 1000 - 3000 RPM. It does not want to accelerate. Sometimes at idle if I press the gas pedal suddenly again it puffs smoke from the carb and it dies. Any ideas? Feels like not enough air b/c of the puffs (I think it is due to unburned gas)

If driven normally it is OK. Let say I知 in 5th gear 2000 RPM if I press the gas suddenly it start to cough/hesitate. I have to let the gas pedal and press it again more gentle.
I checked the ventury, vacuums, sensors, oil, coolant, PVC, filters you name it. Even opened the top hat of the Carb., acceleration pump is OK, power valve is OK, clean inside the Carb. chamber.

Idles OK, just when you give her more gas it does not want to raise the RPM it hesitate and in most cases it dies with a misfire and smoke coming from the Carb.

I'm sure I知 missing something. Any suggestions?

Also it starts/cranks hard

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9492/86carb.jpg

Dr_Snooz
09-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Cars don't really like to sit and will develop funny symptoms when left for long periods. I'd say put a can of injector cleaner through it and drive. If it keeps up, you're probably looking at a carb rebuild.

Discovery
09-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Cars don't really like to sit and will develop funny symptoms when left for long periods. I'd say put a can of injector cleaner through it and drive. If it keeps up, you're probably looking at a carb rebuild.

Yes it did sit for a while, but if i need a Carb. rebuild i simply change the gaskets, check the srews and clean the the Carb. itself? In my case it works fine simply at extra acceleration no power and lots of hesitation. While at normal acceleration it is fine.

Dr_Snooz
09-16-2011, 09:22 PM
If it hangs up immediately when you stamp on it, but catches shortly after, then the accelerator pump is pooping out. If it stays crappy, then your secondaries are sad. Possibly your step-up mechanism is heading into retirement.

Cleaning and adjusting is great, but after 23 years, the rubber seals and plastic parts are needing replacement. It will need a rebuild at some point, but these are devilishly tricky carbs. If you don't have smog checks, then a Weber swap is probably your best bet.

Edit: I just noticed that the thread title says "hissing" when accelerating. You mean "missing" right? Hissing would indicate a vacuum leak, which is much cheaper than a carb rebuild.

Discovery
09-26-2011, 01:15 PM
OK here is the update: Now very difficult to start. When it starts, I have to play with the gas pedal till it warms up otherwise will shut down.

Yes when you stamp on it and shortly after sometimes catches on, other times does not.

My question is:
By the accelerator pump you mean the diaphragm must be changed or something else?
I did take out the carburetor hat and did push the accelerator pump rod and fuel was coming out rather fine out of the nozzle.

Second question what do you mean by "step-up mechanism is heading into retirement"? I did spay carb cleaner into the carb venturi vacuum port came out clean inside the carb.

PS. By Hissing I meant Hesitation

If it hangs up immediately when you stamp on it, but catches shortly after, then the accelerator pump is pooping out. If it stays crappy, then your secondaries are sad. Possibly your step-up mechanism is heading into retirement.

Cleaning and adjusting is great, but after 23 years, the rubber seals and plastic parts are needing replacement. It will need a rebuild at some point, but these are devilishly tricky carbs. If you don't have smog checks, then a Weber swap is probably your best bet.

Edit: I just noticed that the thread title says "hissing" when accelerating. You mean "missing" right? Hissing would indicate a vacuum leak, which is much cheaper than a carb rebuild.

stephensimmons
09-28-2011, 04:26 PM
OK here is the update: Now very difficult to start. When it starts, I have to play with the gas pedal till it warms up otherwise will shut down.

Your choke isnt working properly. Also did you change your fuel filter? Try reving the car a little and closing and opening the choke a few times all the way and see what happens.

Dr_Snooz
09-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Throw your carb away. It's done.

lostforawhile
09-28-2011, 06:20 PM
do the small stuff first, both fuel filters,check fuel pressure, when was the last tune up? have you checked timing? all of these things can make it look like the carb is going bad, if all else fails try http://importcarbs.com make sure to check both ignition timing and make sure the timing belt didn't jump a tooth, if the timing is off slightly the ignition could be firing while the intake valve is closing, causing the smoke

Discovery
10-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Your choke isnt working properly. Also did you change your fuel filter? Try reving the car a little and closing and opening the choke a few times all the way and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice but is not the choke. The Choke works perfect Opens and closes the way it should be. Fuel filter are brand new. I revved the car so many times I知 tired now of doing it.

Throw your carb away. It's done.
Hahaha, Ye I feel like doing it, but won稚 help

do the small stuff first, both fuel filters,check fuel pressure, when was the last tune up? have you checked timing? all of these things can make it look like the carb is going bad, if all else fails try http://importcarbs.com make sure to check both ignition timing and make sure the timing belt didn't jump a tooth, if the timing is off slightly the ignition could be firing while the intake valve is closing, causing the smoke

I did all the small stuff, filters, changed the fuel pump, relatively new plugs and wires, Five year old timing belt, I did it all, checked all the solenoid vacuum valves, All the vacuum seemed to be in tacked. Did the open the top hat of the carburetor, inside clean as brand new.
PS- I did drive this car for the last 15 years only with gas Shell Premium, changed the oil filter every 3K immaculately, with Castrol semi- synthetic oil, I did take very good care of the car.
I'll check the timing next couple of days
Thank you all

Discovery
11-01-2011, 06:01 PM
have you checked timing? all of these things can make it look like the carb is going bad,make sure to check both ignition timing and make sure the timing belt didn't jump a tooth, if the timing is off slightly the ignition could be firing while the intake valve is closing, causing the smoke

BIG THANKS TO LOSTFORAWHILE FOR THE ADVICE
It was the timing off by 1" on the Flywheel and two of the spark plugs wires were going bad. How could I miss that?!?!?!?!?! Now the car is back to being a champion again.

P.S. THANKS ALSO TO MY GIRL SHE MADE ME WRITE ON THE 3GEEZ.COM AND ASK FOR HELP.

http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/4959/hondaaccordlx86.jpg

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/2808/hondaaccordlx862.jpg

Dr_Snooz
11-02-2011, 08:55 AM
That's some nice work there. Always check the small stuff first.