PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Confused

fmn716
09-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Hi Gents

I am gathering parts for my brake upgrade

and I have JDM twin piston brakes I have read though some articles which I have learnt that the pad size is the same as the base model, so why would you use a smaller 2 pot caliper that a bigger single pot one ?

I want to upgrade this as I want to use 11" rotors with a custom bracket

Thanks

Vanilla Sky
09-18-2011, 10:51 AM
Twin piston calipers have more clamping force. On some vehicles, the better brakes are the smaller twin piston calipers. Heck, in racing, you only need to have enough braking power to make your wheels lock up. Anything more than that is just wasted potential.

cygnus x-1
09-19-2011, 08:39 PM
The clamping force is determined by the cross sectional area of the pistons. You can find that with this equation:

r * r * 3.14

where r = piston diameter divided by 2. For multiple pistons you just add the areas of each piston together. The single pot ITR calipers have an area of 2551 square mm (57mm piston diameter). I actually thought the Honda 2 pots had a slightly smaller area than the ITRs but I could be wrong there.

The 2 pots will have more even pad wear because more of the pad is supported by the pistons.

C|

fmn716
09-28-2011, 11:21 PM
ok cool for the answers guys but I have been searching but I am not sure if this is correct does the accord use the same brake pads as the usdm si sohc ?

cygnus x-1
09-29-2011, 04:08 PM
ok cool for the answers guys but I have been searching but I am not sure if this is correct does the accord use the same brake pads as the usdm si sohc ?

Yes and no. The 2g SI Prelude (USDM) uses the same pads as all of the 3g Accords (USDM), EXCEPT the '88-'89 LX-i and SE-i. The '88-'89 LX-i and SE-i use larger pads that are the same as the 2g Integra.

C|

Oldblueaccord
10-02-2011, 01:54 PM

Brake pads have a "D" prefix somewhere in there part number. So the ITR are D503. I think the Lxi are D409. Might help you figure out what pad goes on what car.

http://www.fmsi.org/home

wp