PDA

View Full Version : Short Shifer kits ???

Clint
09-21-2011, 07:04 AM
I recently got an '89 DX and noticed that the shift throw is huge. I went looking for a short shifter and found two different types. One is a shifter rod with the dimensions changed below the pivot ball. I am familiar with this type as I had one in my Civic. I also found a kit that has a machined block, which I assume (always bad) is a relocation of the lower attachment to the shift rod that goes to the transmission. This type seems to be much more expensive.

Has anyone tried the latter type and how is it installed? Also how much did it shorten the shift. The car is driver and I don't want to have a 2" throw between gears, I just want to shorten it a bit.

Any input will be appreciated.

Clint

bryan6732
09-22-2011, 02:26 AM
I recently got an '89 DX and noticed that the shift throw is huge. I went looking for a short shifter and found two different types. One is a shifter rod with the dimensions changed below the pivot ball. I am familiar with this type as I had one in my Civic. I also found a kit that has a machined block, which I assume (always bad) is a relocation of the lower attachment to the shift rod that goes to the transmission. This type seems to be much more expensive.

Has anyone tried the latter type and how is it installed? Also how much did it shorten the shift. The car is driver and I don't want to have a 2" throw between gears, I just want to shorten it a bit.

Any input will be appreciated.

Clint

Do you have a link of what you found?
I know chedda_jsauto custom makes them but he hasn't been online for a while now.

Clint
09-22-2011, 06:14 AM
If you go the last entry on this page you will pictures of both styles.

horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/Honda/Accord/Transmissions/Short_Shifters

[sorry - I would have made that a clickable link but I do not have enough posts yet]

On the right is the shifter shaft with the altered dimensions that shorten the throw. On the left you will see a Red & Blue machined block which (I think) moves the fulcrum point of either your stock rod or altered rod (using both gives very short drag race throws).

Notice the rods cost in the $20 range and the blocks in the $90 range. The kit I put in the Civic was the rod type and it was just a bit too short for everyday driving as each shift had to be very deliberate. I want to shorten the throw but not at the expense of driveability.

bryan6732
09-22-2011, 06:24 AM
If you go the last entry on this page you will pictures of both styles.

horsepowerfreaks.com/performanceparts/Honda/Accord/Transmissions/Short_Shifters

[sorry - I would have made that a clickable link but I do not have enough posts yet]

On the right is the shifter shaft with the altered dimensions that shorten the throw. On the left you will see a Red & Blue machined block which (I think) moves the fulcrum point of either your stock rod or altered rod (using both gives very short drag race throws).

Notice the rods cost in the $20 range and the blocks in the $90 range. The kit I put in the Civic was the rod type and it was just a bit too short for everyday driving as each shift had to be very deliberate. I want to shorten the throw but not at the expense of driveability.

Could be me, but it says 91-93 Accord.
I don't think these things fit but I might be wrong, haven't tried it myself...

Like I said, chedda_jsauto (http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75833) makes them to order.
They are 125-140 bucks shipped but fully adjustable to what you want.

Look in the link or maybe on PreludePower for him since he hasn't been here for a while.

Clint
09-22-2011, 02:04 PM
Could be me, but it says 91-93 Accord.

I did a quick google search and came up with the first ad that showed both styles.

But I am still trying to find out if the block is better/worse than the shifter shaft. Chedda makes a nice looking shaft but I can buy a Fidanza or a Megan for less than $30 delivered from Horsepowerfreaks.com. I can also get the blocks from a couple of sellers on EBay for about the same. So that makes the decision even harder. If I don't get any advice from someone who has used the blocks I will probably get a shaft style since I know how that works since I put one in a Civic.

(and this should be my 5th post so I will be able to post pictures and links so when I do get the kit I can show what I got)

bryan6732
09-22-2011, 09:58 PM
I can't give you any advice on that, haven't got a short shifter yet.
Maybe in the future so that's why I'd like to follow your actions on this one! ;)

(and this should be my 5th post so I will be able to post pictures and links so when I do get the kit I can show what I got)

Can't wait! :)

gfrg88
09-24-2011, 07:48 AM
Cheddas short shifters are awesome!!!!!!

They're actually short shifters for the 1st gen CRX, so any other shifter that's made for the rex, should technically fit...