PDA

View Full Version : newbie here with an odd set of problems

seoulnights
09-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Hey I'm Ash, 28, Renton, WA with an 88 Accord that I love to death but fear I will have to get rid of soon.

Long story short, friend gave me her 88 Accord after getting an 04 Saturn (bleh) I knew this car had some problems (the list is long) and I've been slowly fixing what I could because it's a good car.

It's normal for it to idle above 1000 RPM and I have to wait, but lately when the car is ready to kick down, and after I would kick it down the battery light will flash and the engine will slow down, just for a few seconds, sometimes it would do this while I was driving, normally coasting or just as I was accelerating.

Today I went to start the car and the car went right into 3000 RPM and the battery light came on when it dropped just below 3000 (so like 2800) when I hit the gas and got it above 3000 the light goes off but it also started giving off a melting plastic smell around where the alternator is located.

I turned the car off, let it sit for about an hour. Checked and topped off my oil, collant and water levels in the battery. Turned it on. It went right into 2000 RPM where it normally is when I first start it after it's been off for a few hours/overnight. But it will not kick down and the battery light wont turn off. Everything works fine, all the lights, stereo, everything. In fact if I let the car sit idling for at least 15 minutes at 2000 RPM it will actually move itself up to 2500 RPM, battery light still on. It almost sounds like the engine is just sitting at that speed instead of winding up to when I know to kick the car down.

So my 2 questions at this point are:
1) whats the deal with the battery light?!
2) what would cause the car to have to "warm up" for so long? I've been told that it could be my throttle or choke and it's stuck due to an ongoing oil leak.

Dr_Snooz
09-21-2011, 10:19 PM
I'd say your alternator is getting tired. For the high idle, you might have a throttle cable that's binding. Carb or FI?

POS carb
09-22-2011, 07:54 AM
an oil leak should not affect the choke but it could mess up your alternator if it is leaking into it

hotpepper
09-24-2011, 08:09 AM
check the alternator first, it seems the alternator is not working properly. The idle speed could be a different issue. My 86 DX had battery charging light lit up due to alternator went bad.

lostforawhile
09-24-2011, 08:39 AM
the alternator brushes are worn, it's a common issue on old alternators, if you get a rebuild, get the high end one from nappa, not the cheap one, and avoid the junk from autozone and advance at all costs, there are plenty of horror stories about their alternators,you might even find a decent one for sale on here