PDA

View Full Version : Turn signals stopped working after putting hazards on... yikes

6eHonda
09-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Yesterday I put my hazard lights on because I was parked in a somewhat funky place. I don't think the hazard lights ever came on but when I came back to my car and started it I noticed my turn signals were not working. Basically nothing happens when I activate either turn signal (inside the car or outside).

I have checked the fuse underneath the steering wheel but it is not burnt out as far as I can tell. What would be the next thing you guys would check?

lostforawhile
09-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Yesterday I put my hazard lights on because I was parked in a somewhat funky place. I don't think the hazard lights ever came on but when I came back to my car and started it I noticed my turn signals were not working. Basically nothing happens when I activate either turn signal (inside the car or outside).
I have checked the fuse underneath the steering wheel but it is not burnt out as far as I can tell. What would be the next thing you guys would check?hazzard switch isn't all the way on or off, wiggle the switch

6eHonda
09-23-2011, 02:43 PM
hazzard switch isn't all the way on or off, wiggle the switch

I've been wiggling the switch like crazy. I've only had the car for about a year now and have not had this problem before, but also, I have not used the hazards before.

lostforawhile
09-23-2011, 03:08 PM
I've been wiggling the switch like crazy. I've only had the car for about a year now and have not had this problem before, but also, I have not used the hazards before.
if they went out when you turned on the hazards then it's the switch, there is a sticky somewhere on how to take that entire combination switch apart, the turn signal wiring goes through that switch

6eHonda
09-23-2011, 03:09 PM
if they went out when you turned on the hazards then it's the switch, there is a sticky somewhere on how to take that entire combination switch apart, the turn signal wiring goes through that switch

I will look for the sticky thank you. hopefully i can get it. maybe more wiggling/smacking/punching of steering wheel is in order.

lostforawhile
09-23-2011, 06:14 PM
I will look for the sticky thank you. hopefully i can get it. maybe more wiggling/smacking/punching of steering wheel is in order.

Russiankid wrote it

g.frost
09-24-2011, 11:16 AM
Same problem happened on my 88 several years ago, (with a little help from a 4 year old.) I was getting ready to replace the switch assembly but thought to blast the whole thing with contact cleaner before taking it apart. Sprayed into the switches and worked them back and forth. ....worked like a charm and still working today.
I used the non-flamable 'CRC' brand, be careful of more aggressive solvents that may damage plastic.

lostforawhile
09-24-2011, 01:20 PM
just get some electrical contact cleaner, the only issue with that, is it washes out the special grease that protects the contacts. if you take it apart and clean it, and regrease you'll be better off

6eHonda
09-25-2011, 03:32 PM
just get some electrical contact cleaner, the only issue with that, is it washes out the special grease that protects the contacts. if you take it apart and clean it, and regrease you'll be better off

I have never had to use any sort of electrical contact cleaner, where would I look to purchase such a thing or do you maybe know of a decent brand so I can search for it at the auto store? Thank you guys again, luckily I haven't had to drive anywhere recently as I make a lot of turns :)

Hash_man_Se_i
09-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Yea, you would find it at an auto parts store, most should carry it.

I used to have this problem on my old se-i, couldn't fix the switch, so ended up having to replace the combo switch, which I now have to do on my ex-i and you may have to do if this doesn't remedy the problem.

6eHonda
09-28-2011, 09:23 PM
While driving to school for a math test the blinkers started working again. I thought for sure this was a good omen but the math test was extremely difficult. I guess it was just my honda being its weird self. it was overheating for about a month this winter and then it just stopped all out a sudden and now the a/c works even though it didn't last summer.

I will be sure not to try to activate my hazards in the future unless absolutely necessary. Thanks for all the advice anyway I would have found it useful I'm sure if it were not for my car being possessed.