PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Rally?

Clint
09-26-2011, 07:40 AM
One of the reasons I bought my '89 DX was to Rally. Not the WRC 100 MPH through the woods stuff, but TSD & GTA rallys.

TSD is Time-Speed-Distance where you are given a specific set of route instructions with prescribed speeds (always at or below the posted limit) for each section. Along the way are Checkpoints where your time is measured and you receive points if you are early or late. The winner is the one with the lowest score.

GTA is Game-Tour-Adventure and is much less demanding. You are still given a set of route instructions but no speeds. Instead you are usually given a set of questions with the answers along the route. Some times the answers are on signs (e.g. Eat at the Pork Peddler) or on buildings (e.g. Built in 1999). To make it interesting sometimes the questions and/or answers are not real obvious.

Either type is meant to take you down lesser used/known roads and show you part of your own neighborhood you may not have ever seen before. Rallys are put on by local car clubs, marque clubs such as the Porsche Club (you don't have to have a Porsche to enter) or Mustang clubs. Your local SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Region often will hold rallys and sometimes even Rally Schools (for those who want to get serious about TSD).

There are lots of resources on the web to find a local rally and how to set up your own for your club or group.

Clint,
Far West Kentucky

Vanilla Sky
11-20-2011, 08:22 PM
I navigated for a TSD a year or so back. We did really poorly due to running ahead of time on every checkpoint. Turned out our timing equipment (a stopwatch and a pad of paper) just wasn't up to the duty.