PDA

View Full Version : Is there a better way to search?

Clint
09-26-2011, 04:13 PM
I was looking for some information on Driving Lights. But if I do a search on Driving Lights or even "Driving Lights" I get every post that has either driving or lights in it. What do I have to do to get just Driving Lights?

Clint
Far West Kentucky
'89 DX

charliekuney
09-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Search for threads by title, not post. When you go to "Advanced Search" under the search menu and type in your keywords, the drop box below will give you the option to go from 'search entire posts' to 'search titles only'. You can also use Google, which is what I do (no "you must wait 2870587234890570293475 years before you can correct your misspelled word and search again" shit).

obdriver6
09-28-2011, 09:14 AM
Yeah I know what you mean. I always use the google search on the left, just click on 3geez.com.

Dr_Snooz
09-28-2011, 09:33 AM
If you're searching for a specific phrase, surround the phrase in quotes, ie: "driving lights".

Clint
10-05-2011, 08:52 PM
If you're searching for a specific phrase, surround the phrase in quotes, ie: "driving lights".

If you read the original post that is exactly what I did. It still returns every post (or thread) with either "driving" or "lights". There is a way to use Google to search just "3geez" forums and it does let you put multiple words in quotes and returns only those posts (or threads) that have the exact words in them.

2ndGenGuy
10-06-2011, 08:27 AM
Google query like so:

"site:3geez.com blah blah blah blah"

Works pretty well.

zeun4749
01-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Wow, it's my first post on this forum , Test Old Japanese cars are becoming
collector items and a group of new enthusiasts is emerging. If you still have your 3g,
you might want to keep it. I'm convinced it will be a very desirable collector car at some point.
How do we get our group linked up with these other groups?
The biggest surprise in the article, for me, was this car:

2oodoor
02-01-2012, 05:28 AM
If you read the original post that is exactly what I did. It still returns every post (or thread) with either "driving" or "lights". There is a way to use Google to search just "3geez" forums and it does let you put multiple words in quotes and returns only those posts (or threads) that have the exact words in them.

using advance search, under the keyword there is a block that says "titles only" ok, check that one or you will pull up every thread that even has the words in it.
Also change around the query words, like "fog lights" "fog" "lights" or some brand names

Dr_Snooz
02-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Am I the only one to find the embedded Google search here is little better than the native search? I've routinely not been able to find what I was looking for.

obdriver6
02-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Am I the only one to find the embedded Google search here is little better than the native search? I've routinely not been able to find what I was looking for.

I did mention it in my previous post! Its a lot better than the one at the top and you can use 3 letter words!

cygnus x-1
06-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Why is there no search help available? I'm trying to find out if the search function can interpret boolean operators or if there are any other modifiers.

C|

Vanilla Sky
06-11-2012, 09:54 AM
For now, our workaround is to use Google. Use site:3geez.com before your search terms. It works pretty well. When we upgrade forum software, a better search tool is on the table.

cygnus x-1
06-11-2012, 10:18 AM
For now, our workaround is to use Google. Use site:3geez.com before your search terms. It works pretty well. When we upgrade forum software, a better search tool is on the table.

That's what I ended up doing.

Still I find that searching this site is kind of hit or miss a lot of times. The problem is that you always end up with a lot of posts that have little to do with what you're looking for. Choosing your search words carefully helps but sometimes even that doesn't work. Not sure there is an easy way around this.

C|