PDA

View Full Version : my whole dash shakes like crazy!! help?!?

Vick23
09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
okay so my entire dash shakes like crazy when i put it in drive or reverse at a stand stillbut when i accelerate it doesnt rattle/shake like crazy but when im at a stand still again thats when it shakes like crazy so how do i fix the problem can some one please help me out with this annoying problem>>please!!!

itzdave
09-26-2011, 08:07 PM
you could turn up the idle a lil bit as a temp fix, but its the tranny... check the fluid level, flush the fluid. mine did that a little bit before i swapped to a manual trans.

Vick23
09-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Are you sure it's the trany I just rebuilt my entire motor and cleaned out the trany . Do you think it's just the dash being so old or for sure it's the trany bro

itzdave
09-26-2011, 08:25 PM
preeeeeeeeeety sure its not just the dash...

Vick23
09-26-2011, 08:49 PM
alright bro thanks alot im going to do that tomorrow and see if it helps out the shaking as much

Hauntd ca3
09-26-2011, 11:40 PM
idle speed is to low

import racer
09-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Speaking of idle speed,i got an aftermarket tach and hook up.but it reads 500 rpm less than my factory one.and idea what would cause this.

lostforawhile
09-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Speaking of idle speed,i got an aftermarket tach and hook up.but it reads 500 rpm less than my factory one.and idea what would cause this.

the factory one is probably off a bit, what kind of aftermarket tach?

DBMaster
09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Geez. I am surprised at you guys. It's probably the motor mounts. These things last 100K miles, at best. The front and rear lower mounts are probably the culprits. If the top left mount breaks you can barely tell. When my vibration gets annoying I replace the two lower mounts and it's tolerable again for several years.

I guess thats why Honda added balance shafts and completely redesigned the motor mounts in 1990 for the 4th gen Accords.

itzdave
09-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Well for me anyways, I noticed if I stepped on the gas just a little bit while I had my foot on the brake, the vibration would go away. And all my mounts were fine...

Dr_Snooz
09-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Probably mounts. Could be needing a tune-up too or some injector cleaner. I notice that you just rebuilt the motor. When you installed it, did you retorque the mount bolts in the proper sequence? If not, then that could be your problem. If all that checks out, then just turn up the idle speed a little.

Vick23
09-28-2011, 06:31 PM
see thats one thing i didnt check for the right torque but i got a new front mount and my dad got a rear one from the jy that was in pretty good shape but it was reading for a manny and mines a auto could that be a problem as well or since they do look a like it shouldnt really matter

import racer
09-28-2011, 06:38 PM
No name on the tach,mine used to shake to in park but in neutral it went away.Did the urethane with the mounts and it was better,but when i sea foamed it that cured it.the throttle body was black and nasty.So i say sea foam that mother.

Vick23
09-28-2011, 06:48 PM
alright well i most likely get new mounts for the hell of it to but to try to fix this annoying problem, and not to sound dumb how do you sea foam i know a lot about cars but never got the concept of it or how to do it so you can you help me on that too please lol

DBMaster
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
The lower mounts may be "worn out" and not look that bad. The phenomenon you are describing with the vibration reducing at higher RPM is exactly what mine does. There is enough other stuff holding the engine in place on these cars that you won't necessarily see excessive engine movement even though new mounts will help.

Vick23
09-29-2011, 08:16 PM
yeah i see well im going to get new mounts once money starts coming in and fill the ones that can up with poly so hopefully that will help my problem if not i might even have to perform a freaking exorcist for it to stop.....

Dr_Snooz
09-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Good call on replacing the mounts. Junkyard mounts might look fine, but at 20+ years old, they are probably harder than granite. Every bit of engine vibration is going to head straight into the cabin.

lostforawhile
09-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Good call on replacing the mounts. Junkyard mounts might look fine, but at 20+ years old, they are probably harder than granite. Every bit of engine vibration is going to head straight into the cabin.

with my motor mounts that are going in, I'm going to be adding extra foam strips behind mine to kill rattles

DBMaster
10-01-2011, 09:33 AM
^^I am still very interested to find out how your fabricated mounts perform, Lost. I am on my third set. As soon as I start feeling more than a tolerable level of vibration I replace them. They seem to last about 100-150K miles. The left side mount always breaks completely long before that point, though, replacing it never seems to do much about vibration. It's a combination of the engine design and less-than-robust motor mounts.

Vick23
10-02-2011, 09:50 AM
yeah well whats a good brand for motor mounts for our type of cars,, and i was wondering if the torque bar bushing can maybe do anything to my vibration??

DBMaster
10-02-2011, 10:28 AM
I doubt the torque bar bushing will do much for it. I replaced mine some time ago just because and the originals didn't look terribly worn. I buy OEM mounts for mine from hondaautomotiveparts.com, though, I'm sure that someone else on here must have used aftermarket mounts at some point.

Vick23
10-02-2011, 11:39 AM
thanks for the website bro. i actually just checked as well and the mounts are pretty expensive on there but are they good quality from that website?? and should i just replace all of them as well or just the rear one for the trans since i got a new front one when i did my rebuild maybe 300-600 miles ago

DBMaster
10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier. The lower ones (the fluid filled front mount and rear lower transmission mount) should be replaced together. If it's only been a few hundred, or thousand, miles you can just replace the rear lower mount. I did the exact same thing when I replaced them the first time. Check the "front" upper mount that attaches to the tab coming out of the timing belt cover. That one seems to break apart pretty often.

The mounts from Majestic Honda (The owner of the web site) are OEM and should be the best you could get. Generally, they are worth the higher price. Majestic is a Honda dealership in Rhode Island that started selling parts online a number of years ago. I've been buying factory parts at aftermarket prices from them for over ten years.

Vick23
10-13-2011, 05:23 PM
thanks guys for all your help and good info on the shaking.. i replaced my rear motor mount with a new one and shaking stopped!! im glad because it was driving my insane lol now i can just enjoy the quietness of the ride :)

import racer
10-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Well I'm glad you got it fixed,mine started shaking again.I took off the iacv and cleaned it and the one in the back,can't remember what it's called.But that didn't help,was gonna take out the idle screw and clean it but it won't come out all the way.Not sure how to get it out ,can't use heat,any suggestions ?

apache07x
10-24-2011, 07:29 AM
I had this problem and I think I got lucky? Hope so at least. I had to take the dash apart for some wiring and when I put it back together.....well so far no rattle so I'm hoping I just had some loose screws errr on the car that is.

I know I have some loose screws. Why else would I spend all of this money on a 24 y/o car that has about half the resale value of what I've spent on it and I'm still not done with it?