PDA

View Full Version : Weighing Options, Help me out.

2drSE-i
09-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Alright so today I noticed that my Outer CV joint boot has split. Lots of grease left, no clicking, really just needs a boot. What I can't decide is if I should just put a quick boot (2 piece that you glue together, on the car) put a real boot (which requires removing the spindle), or replace the whole axle.

Input, pros cons and smacks upside the head are welcome. Lets be honest, the forum could use the traffic ;)

itzdave
09-26-2011, 08:00 PM
id do the proper boot, that requires removing the axle from the spindle... just sounds better. the other one sound kinda 'iffy'

Oldblueaccord
09-26-2011, 08:16 PM
I done a split boot on a on trip to NY. There just a total PIA I think. After that I used duct tape on a bad one. The one I used the split on started clicking in a few month. I know I left TN with the boots intact so with in 2 days without it killed the CV joint.

I'd just replace the shaft.

wp

88LXi68
09-27-2011, 06:06 AM
I'd just replace the shaft.

wp

^^^

2drSE-i
09-27-2011, 06:32 AM
^^^

Kinda figured this would be the way to go. 20bucks for a sleeve, lots of work and it still might fail, or 40 for piece of mind

Bluntman
09-27-2011, 08:20 AM
I always go for piece of mind. If it is already out I just replace it and do it it right the first time.No regrets. They are cheap these days. But stay away from cheap quality. No Chinese remanufactured crap.

2drSE-i
09-27-2011, 08:42 AM
I always go for piece of mind. If it is already out I just replace it and do it it right the first time.No regrets. They are cheap these days. But stay away from cheap quality. No Chinese remanufactured crap.

I'm beginning to realize that the better the warranty is, the more times i will be doing the job.

obdriver6
09-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm beginning to realize that the better the warranty is, the more times i will be doing the job.

In my case its true, I think I've replaced mine at least 3 time each side. I'm now at a point where I can do it twice as fast as the first time.

89T
09-28-2011, 04:37 PM
LOL! I can do one in 20 minutes. But as for warranty, lifetime works for me. pay once.

Dr_Snooz
09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
The truth is that you can squeeze a lot of life out of the joints if you replace the boot and the grease when the boots crack. Even if they are making a little noise, you can still clean, regrease and reboot them and the clicking will most likely go away and the axle will last for a long time. Of course, doing that is a gigantic mess and axles are cheap enough that I just replace them now. It's your call though.