PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting the Carb

goldyaccord
10-15-2002, 04:25 PM
I need to understand when if i'm running rich or lean.

My car is running alittle wierd. I also took the time to take out the carb and get the cap off the A/F screw.

would anyone gimme some help about tuning the carb?

While the carb was out. i cleaned it out with Gumout carb and choke cleaner.

idle is wierd and acceleration is like all bubbly sounding or something.

What do i need to do?

Josh

shepherd79
10-15-2002, 06:55 PM
well here is what i did and it helped me a little. when your car rich the operating temperature. fans should kick in ones or twice.
start unscrewing the mixture screw. when RPM stops at the max. and won't go up anymore, start screwing in. when RPM start dropping that is your point. it will run a little rich but i got better gas milege and a little better performance.
the other thing is convert secondary into manual secondary. this way you won't need to depend on vacuum.
check your float lever, or fuel level in the carb. make sure it is not overflowing and not running dry.
the other thing that make carb run slagish is when venturies are loose. i had to tighten mine today. it did made it run and idle a little better.
try this things first and see what you come up with.

goldyaccord
10-15-2002, 08:43 PM
I already adjusted the float to spec according to my eye. lol

I need to be alittle more clear about ajusting the AF screw. I did adjust teh screw. it seems to idle alittle better now but i'm goin up and down between 1,000 rpms and 800 rpms. Sometimes it dips to 200 rpms when i get out of gear. My acceleration is sound like bubbling sound or something sort of a knock but just through out the power band. Keep in mind this is a 40,00o motor with a 150,000 mile carb.

Done so far,

Adjusted the float.
adjusted the af screw but i have no idea what im doin other than i stopped adjusting once it started to die. it used to pop when i'm deaccelerating but now it's doesnt do it anymore BUT, my revs from idle to maybe 1500 rpms seems to be starved or make a lout bubbling type of noise.

hope this helps in diagnosing the problem.....

Josh

BTW, i Had lotsa fun checking out the carb.. neato!

shepherd79
10-16-2002, 04:03 AM
dude i had the same problem before i took vacuum crap out. now my car never goes down wheni took out of gear. it idles stady. and i used to hear knoking sound too, i thought it was my engine, but it is not. Now it sounds like it is a brand new engine.
if you can, i would recomend to get rid of that stuff. unless you have emission test in your state.

goldyaccord
10-16-2002, 08:31 AM
What do i need to do to get rid of some of the lines? Which lines do i need to get rid of? Keep in mind all my lines are labeled. So, telling me which numbers to plug would help too!

i live in oregon.. no emmissions! :D