PDA

View Full Version : A/C Radiator Fan Override

89fuelie
09-29-2011, 04:41 PM
Alright, so bear with me here. I used the search feature for several combinations of the answer I am looking for, and google for that matter, and I still couldn't really find what I'm looking for.

My question is this:

Should both my fans run when I push the A/C button? On another thread someone mentioned that it is an "override" functionality. I am an avid bracket-racer on Wednesday Nights, and it would be nice to have this feature while in the lanes waiting to run. The fans work fine otherwise, they run when it gets hot and after I shut it off on really hot days.

DBMaster
09-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Both fans generally do run when you push the A/C button. So, this is normal. If anything runs with the car turned off it should only be the A/C condenser fan, what I have always called the secondary fan. It has the smaller "pancake" style motor and it's on the driver's side of the radiator. If I just turn the key to the run position with the engine off and push my A/C button both fans come on.

89fuelie
09-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Both fans generally do run when you push the A/C button. So, this is normal. If anything runs with the car turned off it should only be the A/C condenser fan, what I have always called the secondary fan. It has the smaller "pancake" style motor and it's on the driver's side of the radiator. If I just turn the key to the run position with the engine off and push my A/C button both fans come on.

Thanks for the reply. Well dang, apparently something isn't right with mine. The big fan comes on when its hot, and the condenser fan comes on after its turned off, but the A/C button does not a thing. Especially considering my A/C doesn't work. Time to go investigating...

Dr_Snooz
09-30-2011, 10:56 AM
If you're a racer, haven't you pulled all that A/C stuff out yet? You'd lose a lot of weight. Then it's just a simple matter to rewire the fans.

89fuelie
09-30-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm probably gonna try to get it working next summer, but I figured that it's kinda pointless in the wintertime. It's still set up for R12, I know that much. So, not trying to be clueless here, but where should I be looking to fix this? I have been doing a lot of searching, and I can't really find what I'm looking for. My fans work perfect other than the force-on with the A/C.

And on the racer note, I'm just a bracket racer. I'm not trying to make a 1/4 mile monster, just trying to be consistent. :tongue:

Oldblueaccord
09-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Pull the compressor fuse and run the HVAC fan at speed and use the AC button to turn them on and off. The button wont work unless the fan is running. I do it all the time when I run up in the mountains, I dont think the fans will run 100% of the time I think its like 20 mins.

wp

89fuelie
09-30-2011, 03:06 PM
OK, So I just went out and did a little test. I didn't find a fuse labeled "compressor"... When the engine warms up, both fans kick on and turn off after about 30 seconds. The A/C Button does not change the behavior of the fans in any way. (the cabin blower fan was on) The A/C light comes on, and that's about it. I'd really like to be able to force the fans on, because it sounds like that's the way it should work.

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to "new" cars, I have never owned anything newer than 1975 before, so no computers, emissions, electric fans, etc. Thanks for your patience!

Oldblueaccord
10-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Not got an idea at this point. Those fans should be forced on when the AC is engaged. There is a manual on this site you can dl and look thru the wiring diagram. Something is missing wiring wise.

wp

89fuelie
10-25-2011, 01:14 PM
OK, so just an update on where I am. I noticed that I don't get the idle boost either when I press the A/C switch, so I'm thinking something probably got unplugged somewhere, most likely related. I'm off into the jungle of wiring...

Phatman
11-07-2011, 11:51 AM
I've noticed the fans don't come on either when I hit the A/C button on my 88, but I don't have the A/C charged. It seems they won't come on unless the compressor kicks in. That may be why you're not getting anything. Until the computer gets a signal showing the A/C is running, it won't turn the fans on.

I could be wrong, but it's my experience.

firefighterwhite89
11-19-2011, 11:41 AM
Directly wire up your fan to a switch. Just remember to install a fuse.