PDA

View Full Version : CV Axel removal

88cool
09-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey Geez,

My Haynes manual tells me to drain the transmission fluid before removing the drive axel. This is my first go-around with this project. Do I really have to drain the ATF?

Is there a better-than-Haynes way to go about this?

Thanks

Hauntd ca3
09-30-2011, 02:52 PM
you dont have to.
just keep a container handy coz you will loose some trans fluid when you pull the shaft from the trans.

AccordB20A
09-30-2011, 10:51 PM
yep. box oil will piss out the axle hole. Easier to just drain the fluid

POS carb
10-01-2011, 04:01 AM
if you don't drain it first it will fall out the hole anyway when you pull out the axle and make a huge mess. drain it.

car6289
10-02-2011, 11:32 AM
Hey Geez,

My Haynes manual tells me to drain the transmission fluid before removing the drive axel. This is my first go-around with this project. Do I really have to drain the ATF?

Is there a better-than-Haynes way to go about this?

Thanks

If you have an automatic (you mentioned ATF) the answer is no you do not have to drain the fluid and it should not pour out when you remove either shaft. I have done several shafts on my present and past 3G with no fluid loss.

Pnem3
10-04-2011, 06:32 AM
If you have an automatic (you mentioned ATF) the answer is no you do not have to drain the fluid and it should not pour out when you remove either shaft. I have done several shafts on my present and past 3G with no fluid loss.

+1

If you are worried, tilt the car by raising the removal side more than the other. That way you will be sure nothing will poor out.

Dr_Snooz
10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
If you changed the oil recently, then don't drain it. Just put a pan under the axle and top it off when you put it back together. If you haven't changed the oil in awhile, think of it as a good excuse to do so. And x3 on the autos not leaking.