PDA

View Full Version : rough idling when cold

carotman
10-15-2002, 04:52 PM
well, I don't know what's causing that and I need some inputs to pinpoint the problem.

My car starts fine the 1st time in the morning and revs fine if I press the gas.

The only problem is that the idle is rough...

Once it's warmed up, the idling is fine ( a bit of variations tough)

I wonder what could cause rough idling when cold...

I already replaced the following:

Cap
Rotor
Plugs
Wires

I also checked the coolant temp sensor and the value is on spec when cold

I must say that I got a JG camshaft..... couls it be the cause of the lumpy idling????

shepherd79
10-15-2002, 06:34 PM
i don't think it is your cam.
did you have this cam last winter?
did you ever had this problem before?
did you look at the computer for codes?

Dutchboy
10-15-2002, 07:24 PM
are you able to test the coolant temperature sensor???

what is the resistance supposed to be or???
my manual doesnt say anything except how to remove it.

BEn

1988starter
10-15-2002, 07:28 PM
I guess you have probably checked this a few times but how are your engine mounts. Also mine did the same think when my alternator was craping out. Check it's output.

doug
10-16-2002, 03:41 AM
it sounds like the efi equivelent of a carb choke problem, (whatever the hell that is), you need to get the butterfly to close tighter. just translate that into efi and give it a try.

carotman
10-16-2002, 04:01 AM
I'm 99% sure that the engine mounts are on their last miles... so this could explain it...

The coolant temp sensor resistance is written in the shop manual and I checked it.... it works fine.

I did not have this problem before.... but I didn't have the cam nor the EFI.

maybe the TB is letting in too much air. I already cleaned it a few times tough.

I was suspencing the engine mounts or the fast idle valve (which was already replaced with a used one tough)

jteuton
10-16-2002, 09:22 AM
hey where is the fast idle valve?.....also what would the mounts had to do with engine problems????!!!????still scatching my head

Dutchboy
10-16-2002, 10:15 AM
Yah the shop manual...???? you mean pauls ???

I cant find it in my manual anywere so does anyone know the resistanse of the coolant temperature sensor ????

im chasing a problem with mine and dont want to replace it if i dont have to..

BEn

carotman
10-21-2002, 06:17 AM
I guess no one has a clue about that problem :(

I'm 100% sure it's related to the cold idle controls (like the fast idle valve or the IAC valve...)

Now I need to troubleshoot that (and find time to do it)

smufguy
10-23-2002, 08:39 PM
carot dude, its only because u know much more than anyone else and u cant possibly expect anyone to know that u dont know. right? ;)