PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum, looking for some tuners in my area.

razordave123
10-09-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm from Beaver county, approximately 20 minutes from Pittsburgh PA. I can't seem to find many people around here who deal with foreign cars.

My brother just picked up another 300 dollar project/beater/race car, the first honda in our list of vehicles we've put exhaust and minor work into.

I already had a piece of 2 inch bent up for a straight pipe. It's been on the car since day three. stupid loud, but bareable in the cab.

The car is an auto, we both agree that should go.

I envision clutch on shifter. He likes the idea too. The 5 speed trans that go in these cars, are they hydraulic or manual? hydraulic would be much easier, I was thinking motorcycle brake master cylinder :)

already in the works of hooking up the rear brakes to one, for more crisp e-brake slides lol

also, we've developed a rod/main bearing knock, damn broken overdrive! any advice on slipping in rods and mains and possibly an oil pump? also, about overdrive not working, it seems to be neutral. something need adjusted? the old man we bought this off of quit driving it because of this.

any help is much appreciated!

Dave

stephensimmons
10-09-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm from Beaver county, approximately 20 minutes from Pittsburgh PA. I can't seem to find many people around here who deal with foreign cars.

My brother just picked up another 300 dollar project/beater/race car, the first honda in our list of vehicles we've put exhaust and minor work into.

I already had a piece of 2 inch bent up for a straight pipe. It's been on the car since day three. stupid loud, but bareable in the cab.

The car is an auto, we both agree that should go.

I envision clutch on shifter. He likes the idea too. The 5 speed trans that go in these cars, are they hydraulic or manual? hydraulic would be much easier, I was thinking motorcycle brake master cylinder :)

already in the works of hooking up the rear brakes to one, for more crisp e-brake slides lol

also, we've developed a rod/main bearing knock, damn broken overdrive! any advice on slipping in rods and mains and possibly an oil pump? also, about overdrive not working, it seems to be neutral. something need adjusted? the old man we bought this off of quit driving it because of this.

any help is much appreciated!

Dave

5th gear can be replaced without removing the transmission, You can pull the head and oil pan with the engine in the car to replace the bearings but if it is knocking the crank is probley ruined, and the cluches are cable not hydraulic. Is the car carbed or fuel injected?

razordave123
10-09-2011, 08:24 PM
its carbed. but it's an automatic, no fifth gear. fourth is no good. it sometimes has a grind noise like you're holding the starter when in neutral but it usually isn't very long, maybe half a second...

are the oil pumps usually bad around 140,ooo miles? I'm gonna put standard main and rod bearings in wed, that's the soonest I'll get to it. I'm thinking I'm gonna change the oil pump too. we want to eventually turbo this little guy, but I think I'll run an electric oil pump solely for the turbo. is that a good idea? I'm thinking about possibly remote mounting the turbo into the trunk. Give me a few months, I'd like to swap out the pistons and rods first and probably get a new crank too or at least have this one reground.

first is first, fix the knock. then the tranny, probably 5 speed swap it in a couple weeks. found a 96 integra with a b18 and a b16 5 speed trans. parts car I'm thinking I should be able to swap this in my back yard and haul the integra shell off before my mother gets too upset.

lostforawhile
10-09-2011, 08:43 PM
its carbed. but it's an automatic, no fifth gear. fourth is no good. it sometimes has a grind noise like you're holding the starter when in neutral but it usually isn't very long, maybe half a second...

are the oil pumps usually bad around 140,ooo miles? I'm gonna put standard main and rod bearings in wed, that's the soonest I'll get to it. I'm thinking I'm gonna change the oil pump too. we want to eventually turbo this little guy, but I think I'll run an electric oil pump solely for the turbo. is that a good idea? I'm thinking about possibly remote mounting the turbo into the trunk. Give me a few months, I'd like to swap out the pistons and rods first and probably get a new crank too or at least have this one reground.

first is first, fix the knock. then the tranny, probably 5 speed swap it in a couple weeks. found a 96 integra with a b18 and a b16 5 speed trans. parts car I'm thinking I should be able to swap this in my back yard and haul the integra shell off before my mother gets too upset.
you will do better to get a doner engine from the yard, you might get lucky and find one with a five speed attached to it, then you can get all the parts needed to swap it in, everything you need will come from that car.. there are how to's on here about swapping it out, it would be unusual for an oil pump to have failed with that few miles in one of these cars, someone probably ran it until they ruined it

2oodoor
10-10-2011, 03:15 AM
oil pump more likely just needs a seal kit, very easy fix...

turbo in the trunk? eliminates some hardware but adds more weight with the plumbing and would not be very efficient as well.

automatic transmission is doing /not doing what exactly and when?

razordave123
10-10-2011, 09:26 AM
the trans seems fine, until it's supposed to go into 4th/overdrive. It's like neutral but with a hellacious grinding noise. its almost like hitting the starter when the engine is already running. in overdrive the noise doesn't go away. it makes the same noise occasionally when you shift into neutral or when going from reverse into drive.

turbo in the trunk is mostly because I want a sleeper. most people around here think its a geo or something. I figure if I make it look like an N/A motor, everyone will think they have me, might even for a bit, then she spools haha

lostforawhile
10-10-2011, 05:15 PM
the trans seems fine, until it's supposed to go into 4th/overdrive. It's like neutral but with a hellacious grinding noise. its almost like hitting the starter when the engine is already running. in overdrive the noise doesn't go away. it makes the same noise occasionally when you shift into neutral or when going from reverse into drive.

turbo in the trunk is mostly because I want a sleeper. most people around here think its a geo or something. I figure if I make it look like an N/A motor, everyone will think they have me, might even for a bit, then she spools haharead the turbo threads on here, it will still look like a sleeper, most people don't expect a turbo on these cars. you are making a mess trying to put it in the trunk, and ditch the auto they are crap, these are basically sports cars with the manual, they will surprise you, the auto is for people who can't drive a stick

razordave123
10-10-2011, 11:14 PM
thanks, lost

I called a few yards today, the only engine to fit is over 200k but its only $200, great how that works out. I'm still gonna change out the rods and mains, as planned and the oil pump and most likely the pan too, but on the "new" engine. I figure the half worn out rings should be better for blow-by when I do turbo it. the thought is if I get too much boost in there, it should blow out the breather instead of through the piston. I will check out the turbo threads when I get a little more funds, but I'll have her back on the road in no time with this engine from the yard.

I also found an lxi mines an lx. this one is a twin but has a sunroof! haha and its efi. hopefully they get me a decent price. I'm not sure yet if it was towed in broken or for a dui or what just yet but its in my buddys impound lot.

what weight oil does everyone run? we had 10w30 in it, should we do an oil cooler? or could we just run heavier to prevent the next one from burning up?

apache07x
10-11-2011, 10:33 AM
thanks, lost

I called a few yards today, the only engine to fit is over 200k but its only $200, great how that works out. I'm still gonna change out the rods and mains, as planned and the oil pump and most likely the pan too, but on the "new" engine. I figure the half worn out rings should be better for blow-by when I do turbo it. the thought is if I get too much boost in there, it should blow out the breather instead of through the piston. I will check out the turbo threads when I get a little more funds, but I'll have her back on the road in no time with this engine from the yard.

I also found an lxi mines an lx. this one is a twin but has a sunroof! haha and its efi. hopefully they get me a decent price. I'm not sure yet if it was towed in broken or for a dui or what just yet but its in my buddys impound lot.

what weight oil does everyone run? we had 10w30 in it, should we do an oil cooler? or could we just run heavier to prevent the next one from burning up?

Everyone will probably think I'm crazy but I run Valvoline 50 wt and a full bottle of Lucas plus I have an oil cooler. Run the thick oil because I have almost 200,000 on mine and it has a little main bearing noise on startup if I run a thin oil like it calls for. It's been that way for 45,000 miles that I know of, since I've had it, so I'll just be crazy and have it not knock at startup. I run an oil cooler because my header is really close to the oil pan and figured it wouldn't hurt to have one. The cooler seems to help although the gauge didn't reflect it the car smelled a little different, seemed to be a little hot after you drove it for a half hour or so and it just seems to run a bit better with it.

obdriver6
10-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Try to sell you lx and get the lxi, that would be a lot better for a turbo. ALso a turbo in the trunk/rear just seem too complicated and just like lost said nobody is gonna suspect a turbo on these cars. As for the oil I run 10w40 full synthetic and my car has 300k+ but If you go with synthetic its more prone to have an oil leak.

razordave123
10-14-2011, 08:19 AM
I actually found an lxi with 198k on it, identical to my lx, except fi, POWER sunroof and mag 14's I think I'm gonna keep the lx too. gonna start a small herd haha maybe after I get five or so, I'll consider selling one. or trading all of them for an nsx :0 haha wouldn't that be an interesting situation....