PDA

View Full Version : how hard to put new crankshaft in 89 accord

doc
10-10-2011, 02:16 PM
threw rod in my 89 accord dx hatch and rod then hit crankshaft bunch of times ..already got a used head ...timing belt kit ...headgasket kit...new flex pipe....to go on.....and bunch of new parts already installed ...new carb...new rad..new cap ...new water pump ...new oil switch .....................................think maybe i should fix anyone have any ideas is crankshaft hard to do already got head off and oil pan and cross members off..can i replace crankshaft with out pulling engine out and is it hard to do

AZmike
10-10-2011, 02:53 PM
You can replace the crankshaft with the block in place. You still have to remove the transmission and flexplate or flywheel. With the block in the car all the work with the crank is awkward since it's upside down.

Are you sure that the block is still good? These cars are old enough that a complete engine from a pull-a-part yard from a crashed car is cheap enough that it might be a better starting point.

doc
10-10-2011, 03:46 PM
block seems good...cylinder seems good no scores on it or what not
what would i look for to make sure its ok

AZmike
10-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Did the rod damage the block while it was banging around? Are the main bearing supports damaged?