PDA

View Full Version : motor swap?

hondalove
10-11-2011, 06:30 AM
so i have my 1980 sedan and it gorgeous and nothing is wrong with it but... i like speed so i was looking into a k20 swap? seeing is that is one of the only motors that the exhaust exits to the rear. the front cross member would block exhaust if it was a d16y8 or b18 any thoughts?

2ndGenGuy
10-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah that front crossmember is usually the issue. But people have done the B-series in them before. Ichiban got a B20A into his 2gee with his modified crossmember. A K-series is going to be a real trick to fit in there, as you'll need to do an EFI conversion, change your shifter linkage, figure out how to drive the cable speedo, not to mention building mounts and finding axles. Not that you won't have to do most of that stuff with a D/B-series anyways, but I think fitting it in the car will be much easier.

hondalove
10-12-2011, 06:26 AM
i really want a turbo motor though, so one thought i had was with a turbo, i would think i could route the exhaust any way i want. which if i could do a b20a or b18c1 i would be the happiest

hondalove
12-01-2011, 09:52 AM
so i just got off the phone with rywire. AND hasport and they both can build me a custom wire harness. thats the first step...

2ndGenGuy
12-01-2011, 12:27 PM
The problem is there's not that much need to have a custom harness built. You will just basically use the stock engine harness from the motor you swap into the car and run it back to the ECU. The only thing that will probably need to connect to the ECU from the car would be like the +12v, the tach signal from the ECU to the tach itself, and maybe do some wiring on the alternator. There's only going to be like 3 or 4 wires that will have to connect from the car into the engine harness.

The real first step is to get the engine in the car, get the exhaust routed somehow, and figure out how you're going to get axles to fit into the car. Wiring is the least of your worries.

Hazwan
12-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Hey 2gg repost that pic I sent you with the long ass header. That should help.

hondalove
12-02-2011, 07:40 AM
the main thing im thinking is CUSTOM. im going to probably have to have some custom axles built. along with having to make motor mounts and figuring out the shift linkage. and everything along those lines.

2ndGenGuy
12-02-2011, 10:23 AM
You probably don't have to have custom axles built. You just need to figure out some wheel bearings that will fit in your steering knuckles that will take a newer hub, then find some axles from a Civic or Integra that are the right length. Doing that will also probably convert your front end to 4x100, so that you can actually get some wheels for your car.

hammer3rd
06-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Has anyone ever put an A20 in these cars. A few small mods and the longevity of the A20 would be a good swap. I think anyway.

79cord
07-04-2012, 12:29 AM
There were comments regarding fitting these engines into Civics so it sounds as though bolting A18/A20 shouldn't be too hard... but Civics were designed for an exhaust exiting the front side of the engine and that problem would still have to be addressed upon an Accord.

gfrg88
07-04-2012, 07:09 AM
Fuck it. J35. Go big or go home.

hammer3rd
07-04-2012, 05:50 PM
There were comments regarding fitting these engines into Civics so it sounds as though bolting A18/A20 shouldn't be too hard... but Civics were designed for an exhaust exiting the front side of the engine and that problem would still have to be addressed upon an Accord.

The A18/A20 has a front side exiting exhaust. I even looked at mine to make sure.LOL But you think it is possible really? Be a great little car and have good power. The reason I am looking into this is I want another project and I like the looks of the 1st jen accords. Oh it would be simple to go wity a carb but if you went f/i and do away with all vaccume lines a wire tuck and all the emissions crap and obd1 conversion (finally). It would give trouble free preformance for a long time. I think.!!!!??? Dont really know but think.

2oodoor
07-05-2012, 01:42 AM
There was a LS v tec 1 gee swap on here this year. The issue with them was making the front suspension capable of the torque and rapidly approaching highway.

hammer3rd
07-05-2012, 01:44 AM
I think a slite moded A20 you knkow cam,header,obd1 would make a fun and ver long lasting car.

hammer3rd
07-06-2012, 12:14 AM
Has it/can it be done. Just wondering, There is a very good supply of the A20 motors and the 3rd gen accord. So it might just be the thing to do .

2ndGenGuy
07-06-2012, 08:20 AM
An A20 would be the easiest engine to make fit. Since the mount configurations are the closest to the stock motor. The side mount will swap over, and probably the front engine bracket as well. There's probably a little fabrication to do, I bet the rear engine bracket is the biggest problem.

hammer3rd
07-06-2012, 10:47 AM
An A20 would be the easiest engine to make fit. Since the mount configurations are the closest to the stock motor. The side mount will swap over, and probably the front engine bracket as well. There's probably a little fabrication to do, I bet the rear engine bracket is the biggest problem.

There you are. I was hopeing you would get involved. I think it would be a greal little swap. Not bad on the power, easy to still buy parts for, a fairly easy swap, and not to much power that it would tear out the axles all the time. And go ahead and make it fuel injected and what an awsome little car, Oh and not to forget the A20's last for freaking ever properly maintained.