PDA

View Full Version : Rear SE-i disc swap

gp02a0083
10-12-2011, 09:59 AM
ok so im gearing up to get this done before the cold NJ winters move in,

i have the following parts available for my 89 lx-i hatch:

Rear knuckles w/ hard lines
Calipers w/ e-brake mount
SEI prop valve ( i may just keep the lxi one in there)
Raybestos e- brake cables

Items on order:
Techna fit brake lines ( i am having them extend the one brake line on each side 1" after flipping through the old forum posts)

I wanted to order a rebuild kit for my rear calipers, i have not rebuilt anything like this for the braking system before, what should i look for in the rebuild kit and does anyone have a manual or literature on rebuilding them?

2oodoor
10-12-2011, 10:03 AM
I wish I may I wish I might I wish I had brakes so tight!

Nio
10-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Sweet. :D I love my SE-i brakes, I really hope you are able to finish and I can't wait to see pictures.

RobT5580
10-12-2011, 03:57 PM
The techna fit lines are definitly tight on the rear so thats a good call. I rebuilt my SEI setup

mykwikcoupe
10-12-2011, 07:29 PM
the rear calipers are straight forward on the rebiuld. Theres a how to and I think the pics still work. It was a great write up. The stainless lines are definately too short, they bind after the bung. Thats a great call. Most of us long term members have done it at least once so you will not have a problem getting answers fast. I would advise removing the exhaust after the cat and taking down the entire heat shroud. It makes those e brake cable so much easier. Air tools make it very fast as well. I would also replace as much rubber and such as you can while its apart. My last swap took me 4 hours start to finish Good luck.

gp02a0083
10-13-2011, 03:09 AM
ok so for clarification is it the line that goes from the body to the knuckle or the other line that needs to be longer, some how im even thinking at adding 1 inch may not be enough.

mykwikcoupe
10-13-2011, 07:58 AM
The stainless flex line that goes from the knuckle to the caliper. it turns 180 degrees and pinches itself. getting them lengthened by at least an inch would help tremendously. mine shows NP damage but looks kinked.