PDA

View Full Version : 89 accord lx slow to dead idle when hot.

kagegarasu
10-14-2011, 12:16 PM
So I have an 89 accord that when cold idles fast then seems to calm down as it gets hotter I can also remedy the fast idle problem by pumping the gas a couple of times. Problem is when it gets to a certain temperature and I put it into neutral the car wants to die. Sometimes it will bounce between 0 and 1 and some times it just gives up. I thought it might have something to do with the Air temp sensor replaced that and nothing. Checked around today for a vacuum leak found nothing. Some online places have said that the IAC valve might be bad, but I can't seem to find it on my car. If anyone knows where it is let me know I will check that, or if anyone has had this problem and fixed it let me know. I did a search it seemed that someone had a similar problem, but there was no fix. Oh I have replaced distributor, plugs, and wires. If any more info would help I can get that for you. Thanks

elpuma
10-14-2011, 12:36 PM
on my fuel injected its on the front of the intake manifold. idk if its different on a carb

g.frost
10-14-2011, 12:51 PM
Does it still have this low/no idle problem when the engine is fully warmed up or is it only when coming up to temp that it occurs?

Dr_Snooz
10-14-2011, 04:27 PM
The engine should run faster when it's cold. How fast is fast? Most likely a vacuum leak, but could be that the carb is dying too.

g.frost
10-15-2011, 02:30 PM
Too much alcohol in the gas; need a new liver.

2oodoor
10-15-2011, 02:57 PM
Too much alcohol in the gas; need a new liver.

good one!

try topping of the coolant and then bleed the air from the bleed screw,
then if it still acts up, try turning the hidden idle speed screw very very slightly, the IAC is hunting for a suitable rpm, don't confuse it lol

Idle speed issues normally are about air not fuel, not always but look for air problems first and keep the systems separate in youre diagnostic thinking.