PDA

View Full Version : will b20 drop in 89 accord hatch dx

doc
10-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Some of the other guys suggested i get another engine and drop it in since i threw a rod in cyl 1 and dented my crankshaft......so found couple engines, then someone else says drop a b20(not b20a) in there it'll fit right in no full swap and bolt right up ....not looking to do complete swap yet only looking to drop in and bolt something right up need car for work.....does any one no about this thanx.....ps and yes i looked but its pain in the ass finding things on here sometimes

-

itzdave
10-15-2011, 04:39 PM
The only straight swap is A series. Or maybe the jdm b20 but ud need the tranny for that motor, and different rear mount.

doc
10-15-2011, 04:54 PM
yea the jdm b20 is what i was talking bout.......dam tranny and rear mount huh........but then bolts right on .... right......any problems for seen......any other parts engine harness or something thanx in advance

gfrg88
10-15-2011, 06:07 PM
Honestly, if you're just trying to get the car running, throw another stock a20 in there.. Even if you wanted more power, to me the jdm b20 not worth it.. If you really want some power bet a real b series.. Swap is made so much easier nowadays with an actual swap kit

doc
10-15-2011, 07:53 PM
yea most likely doing strait swap found a20 50,000 miles if the guy gives it to me for the right price ....but seen the b20 for sale and if i could of gotten that extra hp under my hood hey would have been nice no and what do you mean a real b series if im correct the jdm b20 makes 160hp

obdriver6
10-15-2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah but the jdm b20 is not consider a true b series engine, it has more in common with the prelude b20 than any b series (b16, b17, b18, b20). yeah it has 160 hp but thats where it top out unless you do some hybrid/custom mods to it.

2oodoor
10-16-2011, 05:54 AM
Yeah but the jdm b20 is not consider a true b series engine, it has more in common with the prelude b20 than any b series (b16, b17, b18, b20). yeah it has 160 hp but thats where it top out unless you do some hybrid/custom mods to it.

thats like saying a 283 chevy small block is not a true small block chevy if we were sitting around talking about LS 6.0 SBC...after all the LS won't bolt right up in a 66 Chevelle? Not without modifications.

more of an opinion for conversation sake saying "not a real B series" , and they do not top out at 160 hp?

What is solid truth is the later generation of B series is a much better choice if you plan on beating on the car because one vital part needed is practically unavailable for the B20A JDM, the head gasket. Totally worth the investment of the "real" B mount swap hardware.

True the JDM motor does bolt right up with only hardware changes being some parts from a prelude to complete the left side axles and a distributor from D16 DOHC Integra.. another odd ball engine we shall call "not a real D series" LOL

There really is nothing wrong with an A20, If anything ever happened to the B20 I have the old motor is definately going back in.
It would not be worth the expense if you had to shell out more than 600 bucks for the 86-89 accord B20A. Sure its sweet and much more power with no extra work getting it but it's more or less like a disposable lighter a dam good one though.

(sipps coffee)

gfrg88
10-16-2011, 07:42 AM
it's not considered part of the B-series family.

obdriver6
10-16-2011, 10:46 PM
it's not considered part of the B-series family.

That's what I meant.

2oodoor
10-17-2011, 03:26 AM
The only straight swap is A series. Or maybe the jdm b20 but ud need the tranny for that motor, and different rear mount.

Something that should be attached to the motor if you found one because there is no reason to ever take it off .
The other side of the mount (car side) is the same as for A20.

sorry guys Im feeling like a staight up troll here, maybe I am but Im just trying to help and provide information

There have been a few here who bought their B20A from overseas but I think the majority got them from US importers who had them as part of a larger shipment and couldn't sell them to the typical late model tuner crowd.

(Because it is the tuners are who don't consider them real B serieis)

Or the engines are in Canada/Europe/ Down Under/ Africa that did get these powerplants oem.