PDA

View Full Version : Air cleaner to Air suction valve reducer coupler hose

jzdude
10-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Hello. I have a 87 Accord DX Carb AT. My car surges when accelerating from 2nd to 3 gear. In the Haynes troubleshooting, the first item to check is air intake leaks. What I saw was the hose that connects the air cleaner to air suction valve is very loose, so loose in fact I can shake it off very easily .

It turns out that the reducer/coupler thing that attach to the ends of the long hose are broken. I tried duct-taping and zip tying but it didn't work too well. I think I would need to buy aftermarket ones because those are discontinued. Anybody have run into this problem and can recommend sizes/parts? On ebay I see that the hoses I need are expensive. It seems the smaller they are the more they cost and they are for turbo/super chargers.

Dr_Snooz
10-17-2011, 10:34 AM
Can you describe the surge more? Do you mean the car accelerates more quickly or that it bucks and hesitates?

jzdude
10-17-2011, 08:57 PM
When I press down on the gas pedal around 0-50 it is slow to accelerate (the tachometer goes steady from 1K to 3K). Then around 50-60 there's a huge surge in acceleration (tach goes from 3k and like hops to 4.3k in like less than 1 secs). Then it drops back down due to gear shift (I think 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gear). I can almost pinpoint when the surge is going to happen.

I am holding the gas pedal pretty steady (maybe half throttle/ 3/4 throttle). Also, it doesn't happen all the time.

Another possible symptom is that the car steering wheel vibrates when it is warm and idling at 1st gear (the timing is fine, it is about -14.5 (california)). Maybe PCV valve?