PDA

View Full Version : White smoke from under the car

newaccorddriver
10-16-2011, 10:04 PM
I have always had a minor oil leak on my accord since i got it running. The problem is more severe now, and is eating(or dripping is a more appropriate word) up quite a bit of oil.

I noticed this a few days ago when I was driving at night, and it seemed to baffle me as to what may have happened, but my car was smoking from under the hood. The white smoke through me off since I thought it was a blown coolant line, but after taking a closer look, that wasnt it. I then looked at the oil level, and it seemed a bit low at night, so I topped it off.

Next morning I was driving to work and my co-worker which drove the same route I took noticed my car was smoking from UNDER my car, and not from the tailpipe at all. I took a good look at my engine bay and noticed my axle was covered in oil, and slinging it all over and ending up on my downpipe.

It suddenly dawned on me that the night everything started to happen, I was transferred to a new work site, and I hit a massive dip getting into the parking lot.

As far as I know now, the transmission oil level is where its supposed to be at, so I ruled out that the oil is coming out the transmission and is in fact coming from the engine.

So far, I have the following parts on hand or on order:

junkyard oilpan from an accord with next to no oil on the pan itself when pulled
breather box o-ring
hose from breather box to oil pan
valve cover gasket
oil pan gasket
breather box to PCV hose

I already replaced the oil filter base gasket with a new one not a few months ago, and ruled that out a while ago. Is there anything else that I may have forgotten?

Also, when oil hits the downpipe, shouldnt the smoke coming out from under my car be blue and not white? Blue smoke would indicate im burning oil, but am I technically not burning oil when it hit the downpipe anyways?

Dr_Snooz
10-17-2011, 10:25 AM
You've forgotten the most important step: get under the car and find where the oil is coming from. Do this before spending a lot of money on parts you may not need.

newaccorddriver
10-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Alot of the parts were due for replacement anyways, thats why I bought them. I did find the problem though, I need a new breather box as the exhaust bracket punctured a hole right under it. Also need a new exhaust bracket. You are right though, I should have looked at what I was working at first though

vteckiller
12-15-2011, 04:54 PM
that sucks mate!

Car's arn't suppose to burn oil, there to consume it slowly by breaking the structures and compounds down. the oil then gets (burned) in a sense.. but Usually oil burns kind of blue white.. im glad you found out the problem.. hope you don't have to buy a quart of oil every week from then on.. but one has to think.. these cars are like 30+yrs old.. think about the rubber.. its like plastic now. and thats if it hasnt deteriorated and is gone.. I've been chasing coolant leaks for months.. every week or so i seem to burst a line or something and replace it.. So i said to hell with it all.. went to the local rubber hosing store and bought every size rubber tube on the car and bought like 20ft of each type.. was like 8 different hose diameter.. and if a person cares that much about the cost of parts.. they shouldnt drive.. a car cost money and makes money.. you get what you pay for.. you don't treat your car right.. why should it treat you good? right? replace all rubbers, gaskets imo..