PDA

View Full Version : idle problem

djimass
10-16-2002, 04:59 AM
Hi, I don't come to you for problem solving very often because my car has been very good to me so far. I've had a problem that satrted about a wek ago and i didn't think it was a big deal, but now it is really starting to get to me. I hope you guys can help me with this soon because it is both embarassing and enfuriating.

I have a 1989 Honda Accord LX. Until this past Thursday, my engine purred like a kitten with the odd fussy moment. Now, after my engine warms up, it won't idle. Or if it does, it's at 200 rpms (yes, 200) and very shaky. It has happened to me before, but it would onl last an hour or two, a day at the most. Now, it's been since last Thursday and no improvements. I start up my car and it cold idles fine, but as soon as it's at operating temperature, it stalls. I have put STP fuel injecor and carburator cleaner in it Saturday afternoon and I haven't noticed a change. One of my friends has said it might be the fuel pump but my car drives fine; it's only when I idle (neutral or clutch in). I'm thinking it's water in my fuel lines but it would have been gone by now.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated. I'm really trying to find a solution to this problem. You have no idea how embarassing it is to have your vehicle stall at every stoplight for no reason.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-16-2002, 05:12 AM
I have the same car and same problem. I was told that you should try to spray carb cleaner on your choke and fast idle. I haven't tried it yet, because I am in a rush every morning and I just rev the shit out of it. But I am assuming it works because A20A1 told me. (he's a 3G god) My car runs at about 300-600 rpms. Oh yeah if you can try to adjust the idle screw. I don't remember where it is, but I know there is a bunch of threads on it. If you try the carb cleaner on the choke thing plz pm me on how it works.

89AccordCpe
10-16-2002, 06:06 AM
Try a new pcv valve.

djimass
10-16-2002, 06:13 AM
How long is the PCV valve good for? I changed mine in August or September last year.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-16-2002, 06:26 AM
Is the PCV valve the thing on the side of the air box? If so I don't have the tube hooked up to the valve cover anymore. I have a breather filter on the valve cover and the little black thing on the side of the airbox is just open and blows out air. Do you think this is a bad thing? I know this isn't my problem because I had this problem before I modified the thing.

djimass
10-16-2002, 06:38 AM
The other guys can correct me on this because I'm not in front of my car right now (office job), but I believe the PCV vavle is on the top of the intake manifold at one end of the upside-down U-shaped tiny rubber hose. If you grab the PCV valve and shake it, it's supposed to rattle. If it doesn't, change it. It's like 2$ at most auto parts stores. I have to check mine after work today. but most likely I'll change it anyway.

Mike's89AccordLX
10-16-2002, 06:41 AM
Actually, I think you are right. I think I remember seeing a pcv valve near the manifold.

anchovies
10-16-2002, 11:34 AM
The location of the pcv valve is in the FAQ

djimass
10-20-2002, 01:27 PM
OK I fixed it... but I'm not sure exactly what did it but this is what I did:

- I changed the PCV valve (the old one was still good but you can't go wrong for $3)

- I changed my spark plug wires (they were old so I got NGKs)

- I put carb cleaner and water remover in my gas tank

- I sprayed the inside and outside of my carb with carb cleaner spray.

It took a day or two, but now she runs like a charm. It runs smoother too, but I think it's due to the new wires. Hope it helps you guys.

Peace

ACCORD EX
10-20-2002, 11:13 PM
water in the lines will cause the car to act funny all time !

i think it was sparks or PCV ! how old are the wires too ! glad everything turned out ok !

MIKE

djimass
10-21-2002, 04:53 AM
Thanks Mike!

I don't know exactly what was the cause of my problem, but I think a combination of everything I did helped fix it.