PDA

View Full Version : Activating Turn signal causes idle to slightly drop?

89HatchbackLxi
10-20-2011, 11:29 PM
I've only had my 89 3G since late April... I've started noticing that whenever I'm waiting to make a turn at a stoplight, my idle speed will drop maybe 50-100rpm every time the turn signal blinks on, then return to normal every time it flashes back off. I've also noticed that my accord will vibrate more if I turn on the headlights, and I'm assuming there is some slight rpm loss there as well. The headlights also dim slightly when the turn signal flashes on, or when I step on the brake...

Is it normal for these cars to loose a slight amount of power when the lights are turned on and then dim the other lights of the car slightly as well? Or is this really an electrical/wiring problem?

RAZR
10-21-2011, 06:00 AM
How old is ur battery? Also check to see if your alternator is producing enough volts. At a little above idle the volts should be 14.2-14.7 or something close.

89HatchbackLxi
10-21-2011, 06:48 AM
How old is ur battery? Also check to see if your alternator is producing enough volts. At a little above idle the volts should be 14.2-14.7 or something close.

It was pretty new when I bought the car. I'll check the alternator when I get a chance today.

BrokenBone
10-21-2011, 01:05 PM
I've only had my 89 3G since late April... I've started noticing that whenever I'm waiting to make a turn at a stoplight, my idle speed will drop maybe 50-100rpm every time the turn signal blinks on, then return to normal every time it flashes back off. I've also noticed that my accord will vibrate more if I turn on the headlights, and I'm assuming there is some slight rpm loss there as well. The headlights also dim slightly when the turn signal flashes on, or when I step on the brake...

Is it normal for these cars to loose a slight amount of power when the lights are turned on and then dim the other lights of the car slightly as well? Or is this really an electrical/wiring problem?

I have a similar issue with my 88 lxi, idk about my turn signal dropping my rpms but when i roll down my power windows i do loose about 100 rpms
As for the lights i have the same issue, rattling at idle, inside clock dimming, headlights dimming slightly when i brake...im assuming the headlights dim because the brake lights turn on

Nio
10-21-2011, 03:43 PM
I had this issue,I remember right replacing after my main relay died and I replaced it I think it stopped. Of course I haven't driven the car in a few months so it could just be me and wishful thinking.

89HatchbackLxi
10-21-2011, 04:00 PM
I have a similar issue with my 88 lxi, idk about my turn signal dropping my rpms but when i roll down my power windows i do loose about 100 rpms
As for the lights i have the same issue, rattling at idle, inside clock dimming, headlights dimming slightly when i brake...im assuming the headlights dim because the brake lights turn on

Yes! Using my power windows will cause the rpms to drop as well, and yeah the clock dims slightly too. I think the clock is supposed to dim when the headlights turn on though, so it isn't super bright for nighttime driving.

Acutally, sometimes my clock will slowly fade out or in (over a period of about 3 minutes or less) after starting the car (and sometimes just randomly) it then will come back after about a minute or so after it fully goes out and it will then be full brightness again like normal. Perhaps this is related...?

Ayeobe
10-21-2011, 04:55 PM
I havnt noticed my RMPs go down from the turn signal, maybe the power window.. i could check. I do know i notice my cluster and headlights dim, when i put my foot on the brake pedal. Clock tends to be wacky, too.. im under the impression that its badly connected in the back, though. As for the headlights and such dimming, i know a guy who ither bought it new, or knew a ton of people who had one new, and bought one a lil later, and he said that, at least, is normal "they alwease did that, even in 89"

But, keeping in mind my 87's altormator went at about this age... Im kinda mentally prepared for it. I'd say it'd be wise to give the altornator and charging circuit some attention, ither way. It is the "weakest" part of the car... Sayin' somethin, for a 23+ year old model..

Dr_Snooz
10-22-2011, 06:16 AM
The alternator will have to work harder when there is additional electrical load. You can expect some variation in idle speed when using electrical components. The power windows are a pretty big draw, so they will drop idle more. If the drop is becoming excessive, you'll need to do some electric diagnostics. Like others have said, start by checking your alternator output and battery function. The "free" tests from the corporate parts stores are plagued with false positives and false negatives and are, consequently, worse than useless. Buy a voltmeter and a battery load tester if you can afford it (they are pretty cheap at Harbor Freight). If that all checks out, I would start worrying about wiring problems, which are a genuine and true nightmare to get sorted out. The blinkers should be a relatively minor load. If idle is dropping a lot, check the bulb sockets for corrosion. Check the wiring for excessive heat around wire connectors, melted wiring, etc. My '76 Accord had problems like this in the wiring for the heater blower fan. Consequently, I drove without heat or A/C for years because it got to the point where it started blowing fuses constantly. I've been in the habit of smearing a little dielectric grease into every wire connector I open on the car. More recently, I've been using Ox-Guard, based on my brother's suggestion. I haven't tested it long term, so I can't say I recommend it yet.

lostforawhile
10-22-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't know as much about the FI models, but I believe they have an electrical load detector, the ECU senses the additional load,then calls for more output from the alternator, this causes the engine rpm to drop, remember the alternator is just like a big magnetic brake, the more field current, the more it wants to resist turning

vteckiller
12-22-2011, 12:50 PM

With the car OFF, Do a voltage test at the Alternator, If it passes, move to the Battery, then with the car on. do the same.. and you should be able to find it by now, hope this helps. and you figure it out..