PDA

View Full Version : 88 accord wont stay on

dogcatman34
10-23-2011, 08:59 PM
I have a 1988 Honda accord which has been parked for 8 years. Recently we have been working on it trying to get it to run but the problem is that it will start but won’t stay on. I know that the fuel pump is running because when I stick my head in the trunk I can hear it humming. Usually the car idles fast (not Shure how fast the tack is broken) and then the idle will start to move up and down and then it will die. We have tried pinching the vacuum lines but that didn’t help anything. I know that the engine is getting enough fuel to run because I can take the gas line off of the carberator and gas will squirt out. Any ideas?

g.frost
10-24-2011, 07:23 AM
"parked for 8 years" = abandoned. I can only imagine what is in the fuel tank and carb from that. I'm guessing something was wrong when it was 'parked' 8 years ago. drain, flush and clean the fuel system and carb & replace fuel filters for starters.

dogcatman34
10-24-2011, 04:15 PM
we cleaned all of that. it has new lines filters tank and cleaned carb and it was fine when it was parked any other ideas?

g.frost
10-24-2011, 06:06 PM
8 year old gas in the carb would turn to varnish, clog jets and corrode parts. I'm not sure anything short of a re-build could completely clean it out, but maybe. moth-balling a car for 8 years requires special care to store, draining all gas, change oil, oil in cylinders, etc....
Does the erratic idle happen after it is fully warmed up or when still cold? Does the automatic choke function properly? (per the tests in the service manual?) Does the exhaust smell rich/raw gas or black smoke?