PDA

View Full Version : 87LX No Start - Oil Smells like Gas

swiftymorgan
10-24-2011, 09:47 AM
The problem came on all of a sudden, it ran fine then wouldn't start the next morning. I have spark, tried starting fluid, no fire at all. I checked the oil and it smells like gasoline. I'm thinking something broke in the carb and it's pumping excessive fuel into the intake. Any Ideas?
TIA for the help

Demon1024
10-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Check the float level on the sight glass? Can try removing fuel pump fuse to keep it from getting more fuel. Might help narrow where you should be looking.

You check the timing didn't jump? Did you check for spark at plugs or the dizzy?

swiftymorgan
10-26-2011, 06:11 PM
Check the float level on the sight glass? Can try removing fuel pump fuse to keep it from getting more fuel. Might help narrow where you should be looking.

You check the timing didn't jump? Did you check for spark at plugs or the dizzy?
Here's an update: I changed the oil because it was diluted with gasoline and with some good guidance from another forum I pinched off the fuel line, it started and sputtered and smoked for a few seconds until the old fuel cleared out then ran fine until it used up the gas in the bowl. I bought a carb rebuild kit but I'd like to do a little more testing before tearing into the carb but it sure seems like the float valve although I don't see any dripping when fuel pump is running (but not started). Next I will start it and unpinch the fuel hose and see what happens. I hope it will flood and die so I know it's the float. If it runs ok I don't know what to do next. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

g.frost
10-26-2011, 07:22 PM
............ it sure seems like the float valve ...............

Yes it does. Before opening the top of the carb, you could take the fuel line off the carb and blast some carb cleaner in there to see if you can clean out whatever is causing it to stick open. While you are in there at it, I would take Demon's advice and check the float level with the sight glass.

swiftymorgan
10-27-2011, 10:33 AM
Edited:
I thought for a while the fuel pump wasn't working but it's ok

I unpinched the fuel line and started it and I could see fuel droplets spraying into the throat at high rpm and it smoked. The level in the sight glass was pretty high but I could see the level holding steady. After it came off choke it was still smoking and wouldn't idle. While running I pinched off the fuel again and the level would drop and it still wouldn't idle and smoked until the level dropped and it ran out of gas.