PDA

View Full Version : Brake lamp light on dashboard always on (Not parking brake light)

jzdude
10-25-2011, 11:47 AM
The brake lamp light on the dashboard (near diagram of the car that indicates which door is ajar) is always on. The brake lights all work when I press the brake. So what's wrong with it?

I had this problem since forever, but it didn't affect anything so I just ignored it. But I wonder if anyone else has this problem.

lostforawhile
10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
is the third brake light out? have you replaced any of the brake lamps, including the third brake light one with LED lights? if not it's one of the brake light out modules attached to the taillights, they go bad from time to time, get one from the yard or on here

2oodoor
10-25-2011, 02:48 PM
mine does the same thing and there are no issues with brake lights?
I do have a bulb out on the decklid parking lights, The larger parking lights on the rear valance work though. I am not sure those inner decklid lights work with brake lights?

jzdude
10-25-2011, 05:10 PM
is the third brake light out? have you replaced any of the brake lamps, including the third brake light one with LED lights? if not it's one of the brake light out modules attached to the taillights, they go bad from time to time, get one from the yard or on here

No, all the brake lights work. I will check the tail light module.

89HatchbackLxi
10-25-2011, 10:18 PM
My "Brake Lamp" light has just recently started coming on randomly once or twice a month. I think it's just that sensor going bad, or becoming loose. My guess is your sensor/brake light module is probably going bad as well.

2oodoor
10-26-2011, 03:16 AM
where are these modules?
my light does act strange sometimes it won't come on until something that I do in my pre-flight routines triggers it... havn't paid enough attention to it to isolate the issue yet.

rocketman
10-26-2011, 03:35 AM
This indicator light has been on in my '89 Accord for 20 years . . . all brake lights and turn signals work . . . so I just ignore it. Rocketman

89HatchbackLxi
10-26-2011, 06:53 AM
where are these modules?
my light does act strange sometimes it won't come on until something that I do in my pre-flight routines triggers it... havn't paid enough attention to it to isolate the issue yet.

I find that if I take bumpy roads too fast this light has a greater chance of coming on. I'm guessing it's because somethings coming loose. Perhaps this is what yours is caused by also?

lostforawhile
10-26-2011, 03:06 PM
where are these modules?

the modules are the boxes attached to the taillights themselves. if they go bad the light will stay on

charliekuney
10-26-2011, 03:40 PM
A lot of times people do not realize how many lights are on the back of these cars.

for reference:
"tail" lights = low filament, like when your headlights are on
"brake" lights = high filament, like when you press the brakes

1986-1987 sedans have six tail lights, four of which are brake lights (two of which are side markers), and a fifth brake light in the rear window.
1988-1989 sedans and coupes and 1986-1989 hatches have four tail lights, all of which are brake lights, and a fifth brake light in the window, PLUS two LED side markers (one on each side).

All of these lights must work for the "tail lamp" light to not activate on the gauge cluster.

lostforawhile
10-26-2011, 04:43 PM
A lot of times people do not realize how many lights are on the back of these cars.

for reference:
"tail" lights = low filament, like when your headlights are on
"brake" lights = high filament, like when you press the brakes

1986-1987 sedans have six tail lights, four of which are brake lights (two of which are side markers), and a fifth brake light in the rear window.
1988-1989 sedans and coupes and 1986-1989 hatches have four tail lights, all of which are brake lights, and a fifth brake light in the window, PLUS two LED side markers (one on each side).

All of these lights must work for the "tail lamp" light to not activate on the gauge cluster.the sensor has nothing to do with the running lamps or side markers, it only comes on if the filaments in any of the brake lights are out, including the third brake light, the tail lamps are dual filament bulbs, one is for the running lamp, and one is for the brake lamp, the brake lamp filaments are run through the sensors, one sensor has an additional circuit for the third brake lamp. if you install the tail light bulbs wrong, where the running lamp lower wattage filament comes on for the brake lamp, the sensor will also come on. there are no LEDs in the tail lights, the side markers use standard wedge base bulbs

charliekuney
10-30-2011, 07:25 AM
...there are no LEDs in the tail lights, the side markers use standard wedge base bulbs

Those aren't LED's? Neither are the bulbs in the corners? ...

lostforawhile
10-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Those aren't LED's? Neither are the bulbs in the corners? ...

no, there were no such thing as LEDS in car lighting when these cars were built

charliekuney
10-31-2011, 06:22 PM
...isn't the whole dash lit with LED's?

LAWLZ, threadjackkkkk'd.

Yeah its stock lol
10-31-2011, 08:37 PM
My brake lamp light at the bottom of the car symbol came on a few weeks ago and it's not always lit up. And sometimes it takes a few miles to come on. But all my lights work int the rear.

lostforawhile
10-31-2011, 08:55 PM
...isn't the whole dash lit with LED's?

LAWLZ, threadjackkkkk'd.
no they are those peanut bulbs, the only LEDS are in the warning center between the fuel gauge and temperature gauge

import racer
11-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Speaking of warning center,the one for my tail lights is still on.And i checked and all the lights work including the brake lights,I've changed the sensors and its still on.Anyone have any ideas.

oldman
11-26-2011, 02:05 PM
Where do i find these"modules"for the brake lamp light on the taillights?

lostforawhile
11-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Where do i find these"modules"for the brake lamp light on the taillights?
they are attached to the taillights

Dr_Snooz
11-26-2011, 08:09 PM
What condition are your guys' bulb sockets in? A lot of times if the bulbs don't fit snugly in the sockets or there is corrosion or extensive pitting of the bulb bases, you will have a lot of issues. I usually coat the bulb bases with dielectric grease when I change them.

mintygreen81
11-28-2011, 12:03 PM
actually mine kept doing that too but mine is a 81 lx and it turns out thats a warning light also. honda told be it ment that my wheen cyl. on the same corner must be out... and he was right. blown.