PDA

View Full Version : 89 Lxi, Trouble starting after getting all 4 FIs replaced

89HatchbackLxi
10-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Yesterday I took my hatch to the the car shop I always go to. I had them replace my fuel injectors because all 4 had been leaking (especially one of them.) Upon getting my car back, the car started just fine, and everything seemed completely normal. (My car finally no longer smells like gasoline after it runs!)

However, after I got home and had the car sit for maybe 20 minutes, I started it, and noticed it took about 8 seconds longer to get the car to start and when it finally did start it sounded like it barely got enough fuel to start up without stalling. (My car has NEVER had trouble starting before, EVER. It has always took about a click and a half or 2 clicks before the car starts up. Now it takes about 12 clicks... and does not sound good when it does start.)

After turning it back off, I restarted it, and it started up just fine. But now, every time the car sits for over 20 minutes, it will have trouble starting. Is it possible that the only thing that had been keeping my car starting fast was it's leaking injectors?

I tapped the gas petal once this morning before I started it up and the car started totally normal... Later on, after it was off for about 15 minutes, I came back to my car to go home (my morning class had been cancelled) and as expected, (without tapping the gas pedal first) my car took forever to start-up again. I took the car to the shop this morning and the guy told me to leave it there when I have time, so that they can see what it sounds like when it starts up, because he didn't see anything wrong with it then.

Anyone know why this might have started after replacing the injectors? Any help would be much appreciated.

I can post a video of how it sounds when it starts if that could possibly be of any help to anyone to tell me what's wrong.

Rendon LX-i
10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Could be a couple things. Cant be the injectors, if so there is a bad batch or so. All depends what kind of injector he put in.

When a car lacks of long starts. means the check valve on the fuel pump is bad instead of holding fuel after you turn your car off it bleeds back into the tank. Normal in some cars. What im guessing since you already had bad injectors you had excess fuel entering the chamber from a leaking injector "pintal stuck open" causing you to have a quick start.

Only thing left is main relay. Very common issue. Check resistance on the control side of the coil and load side. People get confused sometimes. Just cause you here a relay clicking doesnt mean its working.