PDA

View Full Version : Using power steering pump to turn crankshaft?

jzdude
10-28-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm thinking of doing a valve clearance adjustment and I was wondering if I can get away with using the power steering pulley bolt to turn the crank. If I remember correctly that bolt has left-handed threads so I wouldn't be loosening it.

Any problems/risk of damage to the pump if I do this method?

AccordB20A
10-29-2011, 02:21 AM
may need to remove the spark plugs or else the belt will slip on the compression stroke..

POS carb
11-03-2011, 08:29 AM
i see a broken bolt head in your future :o

lostforawhile
11-03-2011, 10:16 PM
yea if you take out the plugs it should actually turn pretty easy

DBMaster
11-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Why do that? You can access the crank bolt by turning the steering wheel all the way to the left. It is a 19mm bolt head that you can access by popping a rubber plug on the splash pan. If you don't have a 1/2 drive 19mm socket you can use the lug nut wrench that came with the car. It's nearly a perfect tool for turning the crank bolt.

lostforawhile
11-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Why do that? You can access the crank bolt by turning the steering wheel all the way to the left. It is a 19mm bolt head that you can access by popping a rubber plug on the splash pan. If you don't have a 1/2 drive 19mm socket you can use the lug nut wrench that came with the car. It's nearly a perfect tool for turning the crank bolt.
i think he wanted to adjust the valves and be able to fine adjustments without having to be at the crank bolt

DBMaster
11-04-2011, 02:36 PM
Well, OK, I am still not seeing the point. Maybe that's because I have done it so many times in 22 years that it's like second nature. It seems like a lot more trouble to pull all the plugs - to me, at least. I purchased a "go-no-go" feeler gauge set years ago. Later Hondas just specified that the valve clearance adjustments should be done, "When hearing valve train noise." I do mine every 20-25,000 miles and pretty much never have to adjust all of them. Maybe it's the use of synthetic oil?

lostforawhile
11-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I guess if you were putting in new plugs you could do the valve train adjustment at the same time, it doesn't take much effort to turn over the engine with no compression, i've never used the power steering pump myself, but theoretically I guess it would work with the plugs out

Dr_Snooz
11-04-2011, 08:05 PM
I use a long-handled ratchet. I step on it to make micro adjustments to the crank while I watch the cam gear. I adjust valves when the mood strikes me and it doesn't strike often. I pretty much follow the "adjust them when they make noise" ethos. The maintenance schedule does call for adjusting them every 15k miles, though. I just can't stand doing it.

DBMaster
11-05-2011, 08:04 AM
I can tell you from my own experience that if you check them every 15K miles you will just end up spending more money on valve cover gaskets. Even at 20+ thousand miles they don't seem to be off by enough to worry about.

lostforawhile
11-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I can tell you from my own experience that if you check them every 15K miles you will just end up spending more money on valve cover gaskets. Even at 20+ thousand miles they don't seem to be off by enough to worry about.
I personally just enjoy checking stuff like that, a valve cover gasket doesn't cost much, and by that point is probably leaking as usual. The point of having an old car is to enjoy getting your hands dirty doing stuff like this.

Dr_Snooz
11-05-2011, 04:27 PM
I personally just enjoy checking stuff like that, a valve cover gasket doesn't cost much, and by that point is probably leaking as usual. The point of having an old car is to enjoy getting your hands dirty doing stuff like this.

No, no, NO, NO, NO! I can't abide dirty hands. I have several boxes of nitrile gloves and use them religiously. Icky icky icky!!!!!

DBMaster
11-06-2011, 06:10 AM
I started using nitrile gloves after noticing that the guys in my local Honda shop never seemed to have dirty hands and asking how they accomplished that. They actually make it easier to grip small things when they get greasy. I wish they would tear so much, though. I go through about 3-4 glove changes for any sizeable job.

While I do agree, Lost, that tinkering is one of the joys of owning an older car with which you have become knowledgeable, I do not agree that it means you should overdo it. In truth, I am past the 20,000 mile mark since my last valve adjustment. I am holding off for another month or so to be able to do it along with the timing belt.

Dr_Snooz
11-06-2011, 07:56 AM
You can get nitrile gloves in different thicknesses. I usually go to my local Napa or Smith Auto (locally owned shop) and get gloves. They get really thick gloves that will last through a couple jobs. I use the thin ones from Autozone for draining the poopy tank on the camper now. One quick job and then in the trash with them.

DBMaster
11-06-2011, 10:41 AM
That's what I was thinking. The ones I bought at Home Depot were more expensive for a reason. The ones from Sam's and Costco must be pretty thin.

lostforawhile
11-06-2011, 10:13 PM
i have some of those gloves only use them when absolutely needed, they tend to tear up and be a pain in the ass, i mainly use them for protection from chemicals at work, they are impossible to wear while doing any kind of machine work, my hands just stay dirty, thats why they make gojo

itzdave
11-06-2011, 10:49 PM
I pretty much always use rubber gloves when I'm workin on cars, I just got tired of always having dirty hands cuz I'm always turnin wrenches...