PDA

View Full Version : Adventure in Rear disc land..

dosh8er
10-16-2002, 07:45 AM
Maybe somebody could put this into a thread about rear disc brakes/brake jobs in the HOW-TO or FAQ, (hint, hint) but...

I was doing my brakes (all 4 disc :flip: ) when I got to the back and realized that the piston was going to be difficult to compress back into the brake cylinder.

I tried and tried, and was sucessful on one side, until i moved to the other side.

From what I can figure from reading up and experience, the rear brake cylinder piston for 4w disc systems on our 3g (and years after?) have a SPIRALED thread/groove in the piston/cylinder. This means that the piston needs to be rotated as it's pushed on (I don't think you need to push on it, but the rotation is necessary). I know of tools that do this, but, _I_ dont think the tool is necessary (hammer and a punch/screwdriver is all i used).

I thought I'd pass this IMPORTANT info on to everybody... esp. those doing those rear disc conversions.

Ahh.. no more warped rotor vibration when braking... NOW i know why everbody wants those friggin' discs.. NICE, EVEN, SMOOTH braking.. :bandit:

anchovies
10-16-2002, 11:37 AM
Just use needle nose pliers, sit it on the grooves then push and rotate.

The rotors will eventually warp also.

dosh8er
10-16-2002, 05:59 PM
yeah, that's why I spent $132.00 for 4 new disc's and pads... it was well due.. damn warp.. and those disc's are so cheap... i'd rather not give them to my old man to machine... that would take too long.

PhydeauX
10-16-2002, 06:39 PM
They do make a tool for it, most rear calipers uses that design. Don't forget that one side is reverse threaded.

andy

SQ is the SQUAD
10-17-2002, 12:30 PM
thanks, this is useful info to know when i do my rotors and pads

smufguy
10-17-2002, 07:52 PM
yep a nice tip to do a moajor swap. Thanks buddy. :)