PDA

View Full Version : flood car

rocketman
11-05-2011, 07:10 AM
Would you ever consider buying a "flood" car? Looks, starts and runs fine. Everything works. No smell. Water was up to the windows. No moisture in any of the fluids I checked (oil, transmission, brakes). Rocketman

AccordB20A
11-05-2011, 02:22 PM
check for rusty pats i guess

Dr_Snooz
11-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Depends on what your plans are for it, of course, but I would probably let it go. The ECU would have been drenched and I've found most solid state electronics tend to simply konk out when they've been wet. They work fine for a while, then just quit. All the electronic boxes and controllers in the dash would have been wet. Every single switch has been saturated. All the wiring would have been wet and there's no telling how much corrosion exists in the connectors. I would expect nothing but problems.

It's your choice, of course. Let us know what you do and post pics if you get it.

DBMaster
11-06-2011, 06:12 AM
^^x2.

rocketman
11-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks for your input folks. I think that I'm going to pass on this car . . . even though it is the make and model I've been looking for. I've been searching for a decent mid to late 90s 911 for a while . . . . found one only 50 miles from me with about 50k on it, manual trans, nice color, good rubber, priced about $10 grand. BUT . . . flood car was bought from an insurance company, probably considered a total loss by them . . . what a shame! Looks nice, sounds nice, no smell, fluids clean. Chasing and fixing all of those electrical gremlins for the next 10 years just plain scares me. And nothing is cheap on a Porsche. Thanks again! Rocketman

2oodoor
11-06-2011, 09:14 AM
I would consider buying one yes. I have seen a lot of cars survive floods up to the windows and there are processes for drying them successfully.
The problem I see with this Poorshe would be title work.

charliekuney
11-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Flooded Porsche? I say absolutely not.

Hazwan
11-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Flooded Porsche? I say absolutely not.

Word. Its bad enough on something as old as 3geez and the like but an old Porsche :hsugh:

Dr_Snooz
11-08-2011, 06:43 PM
I didn't realize we were talking about a German car. Yeah, those are persnickety enough without the added headache of wiring trouble. Good God! They are wiring nightmares to begin with. No sense adding pain on top of your misery. Even if you buy a perfect one, electrical things are going to go poof in the night and you won't know why. I'm breaking out in a cold sweat just thinking about the wiring on my last German car.

vteckiller
12-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Would you ever consider buying a "flood" car? Looks, starts and runs fine. Everything works. No smell. Water was up to the windows. No moisture in any of the fluids I checked (oil, transmission, brakes). Rocketman

please tell me this car did not come from the 2011 flood in minot north dakota.. i did massive work there tons.. lots of devisation.. i would never buy a flood car for more than parts. think about it..

rocketman
12-06-2011, 03:44 PM
I don't really know where the car came from . . . I decided to pass on it and keep looking. I've always wanted a 911 but not one which would drive me crazy for years to come. Thanks for all of your comments, I decided not to buy it. Rocketman