PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start

honda
11-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Hello,

I have a newer Honda Civic (97), and it won't start. I had just started the car, and was going uphill when it stopped.

Put in a new battery, still won't start. Took the distributor off, had car parts place test the ignition unit (flat grey square). It wasn't working, replaced it, put the distributor back on. Car still won't start. It turns over, but there seems to be no spark. Had someone helping me, he unplugged the spark plug and said there was no spark. (I didn't check that myself). Any suggestions? I just think it's unlikely that the battery, ignition unit, and something else would all go bad at the same time.

One other question--the battery fuse under the hood (80A fuse)--I unplugged it, and then plugged it back in but not sure I put it back the same way. Does it have a direction that it has to go, or can it be put in either way?

Thanks for any help.

honda
11-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Here is a link I came across relevant to this question.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AnZO7N1b6alANn8G7zQQ3qsfxgt.;_ylv=3?qid =20071015104903AAW12LV

This link says if you crank the engine with spark plug wires disconnected that can cause problems--but don't you have to unplug a spark plug wire to see if there's a spark?

gfrg88
11-06-2011, 03:44 PM
if there's no spark, and dizzy is good, check coil

gfrg88
11-06-2011, 03:45 PM
check for fuel

honda
11-06-2011, 04:34 PM
I took the distributor into a car parts place. They checked the ignition control module (think that's what it's called), that plugs inside of the distributor--that supposedly was bad, or they said it was to sell me one. They also checked the other thing (coil?) in the distributor--it's black 3-4" kind of cube shaped, and said it had resistance so was ok.

What's the best way to check for spark? The person helping me took a spark plug wire off, held a metal tool to the tip of the wire he pulled off, and held the plug to a metal part on the car. He said when it's getting spark, you should see a blue spark. The link I included in the previous reply said if you crank the engine with the spark plugs unplugged, that can make the ignition control module go bad? Is that right? Did the way he checked for spark cause my ignition control module to go bad?

My battery also tested as bad, so had to replace that too.

gfrg88
11-06-2011, 04:41 PM
I took the distributor into a car parts place. They checked the ignition control module (think that's what it's called), that plugs inside of the distributor--that supposedly was bad, or they said it was to sell me one. They also checked the other thing (coil?) in the distributor--it's black 3-4" kind of cube shaped, and said it had resistance so was ok.

What's the best way to check for spark? The person helping me took a spark plug wire off, held a metal tool to the tip of the wire he pulled off, and held the plug to a metal part on the car. He said when it's getting spark, you should see a blue spark. The link I included in the previous reply said if you crank the engine with the spark plugs unplugged, that can make the ignition control module go bad? Is that right? Did the way he checked for spark cause my ignition control module to go bad?

My battery also tested as bad, so had to replace that too.

Yes, that's how you check for spark. And no, it shouldn't of had made it go bad. So did he see spark, or no? If yes, check for fuel.

gfrg88
11-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Also, you said you replaced distributor, correct? or removed from car. If so, might wanna try pulling off, turning 180* and start again.

honda
11-06-2011, 04:48 PM
He didn't see spark.

Turn it 180? There's only one way distributor goes on, as far as I know. Didn't replace distributor, only replaced the ignition control module inside the distributor--that's the one the auto parts tested and said was bad.

What about the battery fuse under the ignition--does it matter which way you put that in ? (it doesn't affect the spark, but there's probably a right way to put that in).

gfrg88
11-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Battery fuse? If it was bad, probably wouldn't even be cranking..

gfrg88
11-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Btw, the distributor can go on two ways..

gfrg88
11-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Where you located?

Dr_Snooz
11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
You were driving and it quit and wouldn't start again and gets no spark? That sounds like a timing belt to me. Is the distributor turning when you crank it?

And don't bother having the parts stores check your stuff. They just want to sell parts. It's cheaper to buy the tools you need to test things yourself than to buy all the parts they want you to buy.