PDA

View Full Version : need transmission help. FAST!

81hotrod
11-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Ok I have an 81 accord LX with a EK-1 and a 5 speed. But 5th gear went out on the tranny. And for some reason I can't figure out the specific model of tranny I have. Its the stock tranny. Can some one please help me?

2ndGenGuy
11-09-2011, 01:30 PM
Is there still a gold sticker on the bellhousing next to the transmission? That will tell you what the transmission is. I don't think there were any changes to it in 81, so it should be a GK transmission. It's the same in the Prelude as well. I think it was still called the GK in 82 though, even though the ratios changed and it went from hydro to cable actuated clutch.

81hotrod
11-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Ok well I'm trying to find a rebuild kit. I think I found some on ebay but I wanted to ask you guys about them first. Would one of these work?

(Since it won't let me post the link)
Go to ebay.
Search: Manual Transmission Bearing Rebuild Kit 1981 accord

And there should be 2 results

2ndGenGuy
11-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Well, those look like the right years for compatibility. I imagine the crossover is pretty broad. I'd say you should be safe, but the only way to truly find out is to buy it and try it. It's sometimes a crapshoot with the older Hondas. But you could get the wrong part, even from a local parts store just as easily.